Fair Use and IP Infringement on Instagram, Facebook and Other Social Media
Policing and Protecting Licenses, Copyright and Trademark Rights
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will guide counsel on when sharing content on social media sites is protected by fair use and when it crosses the line into unauthorized infringement. The panel will outline steps for counsel to advise companies on monitoring and protecting against unauthorized use of their brands and content on social media.
- Risk companies face from social media
- When use of marks and copyrights online is fair use
- Strategies for protecting marks and copyrights in social media
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What are best practices to proactively protect brands from infringement by social media site users without losing the marketing advantages?
- Can IP owners pursue social media users who impermissibly post, pin or share content for infringement based on other users (individually or en masse) re-posting that item?
- What are the crucial first steps that counsel can advise businesses to take when alleged IP infringement by a social media user is identified?
Ian C. Ballon
Mr. Ballon represents Internet, technology, entertainment companies and social networks in internet-related... | Read More
Mr. Ballon represents Internet, technology, entertainment companies and social networks in internet-related litigation including copyright, trademark, trade secret and rights of publicity litigation and defense of privacy and behavioral advertising class action suits. He authored the five-volume treatise, E-Commerce and Internet Law: Treatise with Forms 2d edition (West 2009) and the earlier first edition.Close
Jennifer L. Barry
Latham & Watkins
Ms. Barry has significant experience in all aspects of commercial intellectual property, including trademark... | Read More
Ms. Barry has significant experience in all aspects of commercial intellectual property, including trademark prosecution and worldwide trademark portfolio management; trademark and trade dress infringement counseling and litigation; trademark licensing counseling and litigation; domain name portfolio management and recovery of domain names; and website/e-commerce counseling and litigation.Close