Exemption Certificate Management in Sales Tax Compliance
Sharpening Your Company's Approach to Verifying, Storing and Retrieving Certificates
Recording of a 110-minute CPE webinar with Q&A
This teleconference will provide tax executives with best practices and new approaches to more efficiently and effectively manage exemption and resale certificates.
- Trends in state and local sales tax audits
- Increasing numbers, and greater frequency, of audits
- Rising demands for exemption and resale certificates
- Implications for an audit sample
- Procedures for gathering and validating certificates at the purchase location
- Role of a formal company policy
- Required staff training
- How corporate tax department can lead and improve the process
- Alternatives for storing certificates
- Evaluating traditional approaches vs. system/scanning
- Cost vs. benefit
- Need for formal company policy on how long certificates kept on record
- Retrieving certificates when needed
- Working with the technology in place
- Knowing how to use it to get the information/reports the tax staff needs
The panel will address these and other relevant topics:
- Field staff training: How the tax department can work with employees in other departments to stay sharp on requiring and inspecting certificates from customers.
- Certificate archiving: In what format and where should certificates be stored, and for how long?
- Certificate retrieval: Anticipating the need for procedures to reliably retrieve a needed exemption certificate.
- Utilizing technology: Knowing the capabilities of your company's certificate storage system or outsourcer.
Following the speaker presentations, you'll have an opportunity to get answers to your specific questions during the interactive Q&A.
He has more than 25 years of state and local tax experience. Before coming to CertCapture, he worked as a tax... | Read More
He has more than 25 years of state and local tax experience. Before coming to CertCapture, he worked as a tax automation consultant and as an auditor and revenue accountant for the Texas Office of the Comptroller.Close
Tax Senior Director - Sales & Use Tax, Property Tax
Mr. Oldroyd leads the Sales and Use and Property Tax Consulting Practice for the firm's western region.... | Read More
Mr. Oldroyd leads the Sales and Use and Property Tax Consulting Practice for the firm's western region. Previously, he worked as an auditor with the California State Board of Equalization for 10 years.Close
Director, Tax Advisory Services
DuCharme McMillen and Associates
Mr. Evans has nearly 20 years of experience and designs customized training courses and state-specific matrices... | Read More
Mr. Evans has nearly 20 years of experience and designs customized training courses and state-specific matrices involving transactional taxes. He previously designed training as a senior tax consultant for a national tax firm, and managed audits, nexus studies and other client matters in private practice.Close