Excess Insurance Disputes Among Policyholders and Primary and Excess Insurers
Allocating Multiple Layers of Coverage in the Wake of Qualcomm
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE seminar will analyze the controversial Qualcomm decision and other rulings post-Qualcomm, examine other critical issues involved in evaluating excess-limit exposures, and discuss appropriate claims practices and settlement strategies.
- Qualcomm case and settlement issues
- Global settlements
- Trends in policy language reducing restrictions on payments limiting excess carrier’s payment obligations
- Relationship between primary and excess insurers
- Application of their coverages
- Exhaustion of benefits: horizontal v. vertical
- Treatment of self-insurance retention
- Rights and obligations of excess insurance carriers toward one another
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- Does the Qualcomm ruling violate the insured's expectation of coverage or provide a windfall to the excess insurance carrier?
- What are the trends in excess coverage policies post-Qualcomm?
- What is the effect on the excess insurer's obligations when the underlying primary insurance carrier is insolvent?
He represents policyholders with claims against insurance companies. His insurance coverage law experience includes... | Read More
He represents policyholders with claims against insurance companies. His insurance coverage law experience includes handling coverage actions on behalf of insureds relating to bad faith claims, defense obligations, law and ordinance exclusions, breach of health insurance contract, crime coverage, employment liability coverage and coverage for asbestos-related claims and environmental liability.Close
John D. Green
Farella Braun + Martel
He represents insureds seeking insurance coverage under general liability and D&O policies for a wide variety of... | Read More
He represents insureds seeking insurance coverage under general liability and D&O policies for a wide variety of lawsuits. He also represents insureds pursuing first-party property coverage. His practice includes negotiation with carriers to obtain policy benefits. He has extensive experience with mediation and arbitration of insurance disputes.Close
John T. Harding
He practices in the area of complex insurance coverage and "bad faith" litigation. For more than a decade he... | Read More
He practices in the area of complex insurance coverage and "bad faith" litigation. For more than a decade he has been involved in representing insurers on a national basis in connection with coverage disputes arising out of underlying environmental, products and pharmaceutical liabilities. He has also litigated a number of cases involving disputes between primary and excess carriers.Close