Evolving Regulatory Landscape for Cryptocurrency: Lessons From Recent Enforcement Actions
SEC, CFTC, FinCEN and IRS Current Positions on Cryptocurrencies
Note: CPE credit is not offered on this program
A live 90-minute CLE webinar with interactive Q&A
This CLE webinar will provide an up-to-date look at the current regulatory landscape for cryptocurrency issuers, investors and traders. The panel will discuss recent enforcement actions by the SEC, the CFTC, the IRS and FinCEN, and what the measures mean for companies engaged in blockchain ventures supported by cryptocurrency, as well as the trade operating platforms.
- Distributed ledgers, the blockchain and digital currency
- SEC: Registration requirements and beyond; actions and remedies for noncompliance
- CFTC: Cryptocurrency as a commodity; actions for fraud and manipulation
- FinCEN: "Convertible" virtual currency; money laundering and other actions
- IRS: Obligation to report capital gains and other income; recent actions
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- Why does the SEC view most digital tokens as securities and what are registration requirements?
- When is cryptocurrency viewed as a commodity and what are the ramifications for traders?
- What makes a token a convertible currency and what kinds of FinCEN enforcement actions have resulted?
- Why might reporting transactions to the IRS be particularly problematic in the blockchain environment?
Matthew B. Hanson
King & Spalding
Mr. Hanson represents companies and individuals in government investigations by the Securities and Exchange Commission,... | Read More
Mr. Hanson represents companies and individuals in government investigations by the Securities and Exchange Commission, the Department of Justice, Congress, and other federal and state regulators. He spends much of his time on investigations involving financial services issues and related matters.Close
Brian R. Michael
King & Spalding
Mr. Michael, a trial lawyer and former federal prosecutor, represents companies, officers, directors, and executives in... | Read More
Mr. Michael, a trial lawyer and former federal prosecutor, represents companies, officers, directors, and executives in white-collar criminal cases, securities and regulatory enforcement matters, and related complex litigation. As a partner in the Special Matters and Government Investigations practice – twice named by Law360 as “White Collar Practice Group of the Year”– he draws upon his experience in public service, private practice, and as Deputy General Counsel and Group Chief Compliance Officer at media and entertainment company 21st Century Fox to conduct internal investigations, provide crisis management, and advise on a wide array of legal and compliance matters, including FCPA and anti-corruption, cybersecurity and data privacy, blockchain technology and digital currency, trade sanctions, and workplace conduct.Close
Buy Live Webinar
Includes Early Discount Savings of $50 (through 03/29/19)
Buy Live Webinar & Recording
Includes special savings of $250 (through 03/29/19)
Live Webinar & Download
Live Webinar & DVD
$344 + $19.45 S&H