Ethics of Client Billing and Fee Collection: Balancing Financial Interests and Fiduciary Obligations
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will prepare counsel to address the ethical dilemmas that arise related to law firm billing and fee collection practices. The panel will outline practical approaches for avoiding ethical violations and legal liability.
- Areas ripe for ethical missteps
- Fee agreements
- Timekeeping and charging expenses
- Billing forms
- Common ethical challenges and best practices for law firms
- Resolving billing disputes
- Charging interest on overdue bills
- Withdrawing from a representation due to unpaid bills
- Using a collection agency
- Filing a lawsuit against a non-paying client
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What ethics rules govern the billing and fee collection processes?
- What are some best practices counsel can use to collect past due fees while complying with ethics requirements?
- What options do practitioners have for resolving billing disputes with clients?
Michael P. Downey
Legal Ethics Lawyer
Downey Law Group
An accomplished litigator, Mr. Downey advises law and accounting firms on legal, ethics and risk management issues and... | Read More
An accomplished litigator, Mr. Downey advises law and accounting firms on legal, ethics and risk management issues and defends those firms in a wide range of matters. Issues handled include partner departures and expulsions, client terminations, fee and fee-sharing disputes, conflicts of interest and waivers, privilege and confidentiality issue, and client solicitations and advertising.Close