Estate Tax Returns: Key Concepts for Estate Planning Counsel
Identifying Taxable Assets and Leveraging Available Deductions and Major Elections
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will provide estate planning attorneys with a working understanding of how the estate tax works and proper reporting. Our speaker will offer guidance on assets subject to tax, deductions available and major elections.
- Application of the estate tax
- Probate and non-probate assets
- Steps in computing estate tax
- Filing requirements
Computing the gross estate
Assets owned at death
- Probate estate (Schedules A, B, C and F)
- Life insurance (Schedule D)
- Joint tenancy (Schedule E)
- Powers of appointment (Schedule H)
- Annuities and retirement plans (Schedule I)
- Retained interests (Schedule G)
- Three-year rule
- Valuation issues
- Assets owned at death
Deductions from gross estate
- Funeral and administrative expenses (Schedule J)
- Debts of decedent (Schedule K)
- Losses (Schedule L)
- Marital deduction (Schedule M)
- Charitable deduction (Schedule O)
- Alternative valuation date
- Special use valuation
- Installment payments
Our speaker will review these and other key questions:
- What assets should be included in the gross estate when computing estate tax?
- What deductions from the gross estate should counsel be aware of?
- What available elections should be considered?
Following the speaker presentation, you'll have an opportunity to get answers to your specific questions during the interactive Q&A.
Robert E. Barnhill, III
Atty, CPA/PFS, CFP
Robert E. Barnhill, Atty at Law
Mr. Barnhill's practice focuses on wealth accumulation and compensation planning. He presents and authors on Form... | Read More
Mr. Barnhill's practice focuses on wealth accumulation and compensation planning. He presents and authors on Form 1041 and other subjects, including comprehensive estate plans, family limited partnerships, and irrevocable life insurance trusts. He consults, prepares and implements a variety of wealth accumulation and transfer plans.Close