Estate Planning Involving Resident and Non-Resident Aliens
Navigating Estate, Gift and GST Tax Rules; Leveraging Estate and Lifetime Gifting Opportunities
Recording of a 90-minute CLE/CPE webinar with Q&A
This CLE/CPE webinar will focus on the key issues that arise for counsel and tax advisors in estate planning for resident and non-resident aliens, focusing on relevant tax rules and potential estate planning pitfalls and opportunities. The panel will outline and analyze hypothetical estate planning scenarios for both groups.
- Estate, gift and generation-skipping transfer tax rules applicable to aliens
- U.S. residents
- Non-U.S. residents
- Effect of bilateral estate and gift tax treaties
- Sample estate planning scenarios
- U.S. legal permanent resident married to U.S. citizen
- Both spouses are U.S. legal permanent residents
- U.S. non-resident alien married to U.S. citizen
- U.S. non-resident alien with U.S. assets
- Potential trouble spots
- Choosing executors/trustees
- Children with different citizenships
- Covered expatriates
- Potential opportunities
- Gifts/bequests by non-resident aliens
- Dynasty trusts
- Reporting issues for U.S. recipients
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What estate, gift and generation-skipping transfer tax rules apply to resident and non-resident aliens?
- What gift and bequest opportunities are available from non-resident aliens to U.S. citizens?
- What reporting issues should counsel be cognizant of when U.S. citizens are recipients of gifts and bequests from non-resident aliens?
Dean C. Berry
Cadwalader Wickersham & Taft
Mr. Berry counsels clients on developing and implementing tax-efficient strategies for the management and transfer of... | Read More
Mr. Berry counsels clients on developing and implementing tax-efficient strategies for the management and transfer of private wealth, with a focus on complex U.S. and international trust and estate planning. He advises U.S. and foreign clients on the U.S. personal income, estate, gift and generation-skipping transfer tax laws. Representative clients include individuals married to non-U.S. citizen spouses, U.S. beneficiaries of foreign trusts, U.S. shareholders of foreign corporations and foreign persons owning U.S. assets.Close
Jinsoo J. Ro
Schulte Roth & Zabel
Mr. Ro’s practice focuses on trusts and estates matters.| Read More
Mr. Ro’s practice focuses on trusts and estates matters.Close