Environmental Toxic Injury Claims
Bringing or Defending Against Environmental Personal Injury Actions
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will prepare personal injury attorneys to understand recurring issues present in environmental toxic tort cases including liability theories, causation, defenses, preemption, jurisdiction and available damages. The panel will outline best practices for plaintiff and defense counsel.
- Theories of Liability for Toxic Tort Exposure Claims
- Strict Liability
- Attacking or Establishing Common Defenses
- Government Standards
- Affirmative Defenses
- Class Action / Mass Tort Issues
- Preemption Considerations
- Attorneys' Fees
- Contamination Remediation Issues
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- What are the advantages and challenges of the many common law causes of action that can be raised in toxic tort claims?
- What are the recurring issues and recent developments related to proving causation?
- What impact do regulatory standards have in toxic tort litigation?
- What are the recent trends involving mass and class actions in toxic tort litigation?
- What theories of damages are being litigated and how can you try to prove them?
Following the speaker presentations, you'll have an opportunity to get answers to your specific questions during the interactive Q&A.
Steptoe & Johnson
She is a member of the firm’s Litigation and Technology Departments and concentrates her practice on mass torts,... | Read More
She is a member of the firm’s Litigation and Technology Departments and concentrates her practice on mass torts, class actions, product liability, and other complex disputes involving inter-connected regulatory, legislative, litigation, and public relations issues. As a result of her experience with large-scale litigation, she has particular knowledge concerning e-discovery and related issues.Close
Randall J. Butterfield
King and Spalding
He concentrates his practice on environmental and toxic tort litigation matters. He handles individual, mass joinder... | Read More
He concentrates his practice on environmental and toxic tort litigation matters. He handles individual, mass joinder and class action cases, both at the trial and appellate levels in state and federal court. Representative clients include Honeywell, General Motors, General Electric, Cargill and Lincoln Electric.Close
Weitz & Luxenberg
She is an environmental and land use attorney representing plaintiffs in environmental litigation. She has represented... | Read More
She is an environmental and land use attorney representing plaintiffs in environmental litigation. She has represented clients' environmental and energy concerns in a broad range of matters and coordinates, oversees and participates in various advocacy campaigns relating to environmental and energy issues.Close