Employee Stock Ownership Plans: Key Valuation Decisions
Practical Solutions for ESOP Marketability Discounts, Loans and Other Valuation Challenges
Recording of a 110-minute CPE webinar with Q&A
This course will analyze scenarios that frequently arise in valuing shares held by an Employee Stock Option Plan (ESOP) and outline new approaches for optimal valuation decisions.
- Sources of relevant guidance on ESOP valuations
- IRC Sect. 4975
- U.S. Labor Department regs
- In some areas, FASB guidance
- Practical difficulties in ESOP valuation decisions
- Marketability discounts
- Loans taken out by ESOPs
- Valuation challenges in response to general market downturns and risk levels
- Other special challenges with ESOPs
- Key inputs into valuation decisions, and alternative approaches
The panel will arm you to make better valuation decisions in these and other relevant areas:
- Marketability discounts: What valuation discount or discount range is too low or too high, given general market conditions and discounts taken by private companies?
- ESOP loans: Is there a viable alternative to reducing valuations in the full amount of a loan?
- Applicable guidance: How are Sect. 4975, Labor Department regs and FASB guidance on-point in making a sound valuation decision — and how are they lacking?
Director of Business Valuations
Greenstein Rogoff Olsen & Co.
He has more than 19 years of experience in finance and accounting, and 14 years in business valuations. He previously... | Read More
He has more than 19 years of experience in finance and accounting, and 14 years in business valuations. He previously worked for companies including Titan Value Equities Group and Transamerica Financial Services, spent three years as a valuation analyst at an ESOP consulting firm, and founded a stock option software company.Close
He represents companies and their owners, trustees and lenders on ESOP, other tax-qualified retirement plan, and health... | Read More
He represents companies and their owners, trustees and lenders on ESOP, other tax-qualified retirement plan, and health and welfare plan matters; and on executive compensation.Close
Shareholder, Valuation and Litigation Support Services Department
He works on valuation and advisory services for a variety of engagements covering ESOPs, lost profits/economic damages... | Read More
He works on valuation and advisory services for a variety of engagements covering ESOPs, lost profits/economic damages calculations, transfer pricing and other work. He previously worked on valuations for Willamette Management Assoc.Close