Employee Benefit Plan Voluntary Correction Programs: Fixing Costly Errors and Preserving Tax Benefits
Leveraging Available IRS and DOL Programs to Proactively Address Plan Mistakes and Minimize Penalties
A live 110-minute CPE webinar with interactive Q&A
Wednesday, March 1, 2017 (in 4 days)
1:00pm-2:50pm EST, 10:00am-11:50am PST
This webinar will provide employee benefits auditors with best practices and the proper procedures to remedy serious and costly (but all too common) benefit plan errors through available IRS and DOL retirement plan correction programs. The panel will explain the processes and potential pitfalls that practitioners often encounter in correcting plan mistakes and outline how to address these issues based on real-world experiences.
Proficiency in auditing benefit plans requires not only staying on top of the IRS and DOL ever-changing rules and regulations, but a good understanding of available options to correct plan problems or mistakes once they are discovered.
Employee benefit plan auditors and advisers must understand the most prevalent errors to anticipate and avoid, as well as have familiarity with the government’s compliance programs. Our panel will explain how you can help your clients avoid steep penalties by identifying and voluntarily correcting problems with their retirement plans—before an IRS audit or DOL investigation occurs.
Our panel will drill-down on available options to fix plan errors. The panel’s insights will help you evaluate audit results to decide whether and when it is necessary to report issues to the DOL or IRS. You will gain an increased understanding of different types of corrective action under the IRS Employee Plans Compliance Resolution System (EPCRS) and the DOL’s Delinquent Filer Voluntary Compliance (DFVC) and Voluntary Fiduciary Correction (VFC) programs. Reporting professionals must also consider moving beyond available programs and customizing a correction method for voluntary compliance.
Listen as our panelists offer insights based on real world experience for remedying common high risk mistakes associated with benefit plan audits. The panel will also outline approaches to correct plan errors before an audit or after a filing.
- Overview of benefit plan audits error correction programs
- Common plan operation errors
- Other errors
- Correction programs
- Voluntary Fiduciary Correction Program (VFCP)
- Delinquent Filer Voluntary Compliance Program (DFVCP)
- Voluntary Fiduciary Correction Program (VFCP)
- Employee Plans Compliance Resolution System (EPCRS)
- Self-Correction Program (SCP)
- Voluntary Correction Program (VCP)
- Audit Closing Agreement Program (Audit CAP)
- Best practices
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- Determining when issues should be reported to the DOL or the IRS—and when reporting doesn’t make sense
- Selecting the best correction option available through the IRS Employee Plans Compliance Resolution System (EPCRS)
- Effectively making use of the DOL’s DFVC and VFC programs.
- Anticipating and tackling potential program pitfalls
After completing this program, you will be able to:
- Identify errors in employee benefit plans that may raise a red flag with the IRS
- Determine the best timing to report potential issues to the IRS
- Decide whether to report potential issues to the IRS
- Select the best method for correcting errors through the IRS Employee Plans Compliance Resolution System
- Identify proper procedures to use EPCRS programs, including IRS Self-Correction, Voluntary Correction and Audit Closing Agreement Programs
Eric Ernest, Partner
McConnell & Jones,
Mr. Ernest has more than 20 years of experience in auditing and accounting for a variety of industries and benefit plan sponsors with extensive knowledge in the accounting, auditing, and reporting requirements of employee benefit plans. He is a specialist in benefit plan accounting, auditing, legislative, and regulatory issues to include SEC and DOL rules and regulations and is also well-versed in compliance requirements related to the preparation of IRS Form 5500.
Misty A. Leon, Atty
Wilkins Finston Friedman Law Group,
Ms. Leon has over 11 years of experience in employee benefits and compensation matters faced by public and private employers and tax-exempt entities. In addition to advising clients on benefit plan design and compliance issues, she frequently assists plan sponsors and plan service providers with voluntary correction of qualified retirement plan errors, including related submissions to the IRS and DOL.
Kelly Pointer, Counsel
Ms. Pointer provide clients with technical and practical advice on the administration of all types of employee benefit plans, most typically qualified retirement and 403(b) plans, and health and welfare plans. Her experience includes matters related to design and implementation, maintenance and ongoing administration, ERISA and tax code compliance, reporting and disclosure requirements, and plan termination. Ms. Pointer assists clients with compliance issues, preparing submissions and negotiating with the IRS and DOL through their voluntary correction programs.
Registration per Person for Live Event
Additional lines for this conference can be purchased at 25% off. For orders of five or more lines, further discounts will apply and will be automatically reflected in the cart.
Live Webinar $147.00
Live Webinar & CPE Processing $182.00
CPE per Person on Live Event
Continuing Professional Education credit processing is available for an additional fee. CPE processing must be ordered prior to the event. To qualify for CPE you may not listen via the telephone.
This program is eligible for 2.0 CPE credits.
- Field of Study: Accounting.
- Level of Knowledge: Intermediate.
- Advance Preparation: None.
- Teaching Method: Seminar/Lecture.
- Delivery Method: Group-Internet (via computer).
- Attendance Monitoring Method: Attendance is monitored electronically via a participant's PIN and through a series of verification codes announced throughout the presentation.
- Prerequisite: Three years+ business or public firm experience at mid-level within the organization, preparing, reporting and auditing employee benefit plans as well as supervising other preparers/accountants. Specific knowledge and understanding of IRS regulations and guidance for employee benefit plan reporting and audits and the available IRS and DOL voluntary correction programs; familiarity identifying common and high-risk errors in employee benefit plans and knowledge of potential IRS penalties.
NOTE: CPE credit processing for all attendees must be ordered by 2pm Eastern the day of the program to receive a Certificate of Attendance within 24 hours.
Includes full event recording plus handouts (available after live webinar).
Note: Self-study CPE and EA credits are not offered on recorded events.
Recorded Webinar Download $147.00
Available 48 hours after the live event
Recorded Audio Download (MP3) $147.00
Available 24 hours after the live event
DVD (Slide Presentation with Audio) $147.00
plus $9.45 S&H
Available ten business days after the live event
Registration Plus Recorded Event
Live Webinar & Webinar Download $194.00
Recorded Webinar Download Only $47.00 with Registration/Webinar Combo
Live Webinar & Audio Download $194.00
Recorded Audio Download (MP3) Only $47.00 with Registration/MP3 Combo
Live Webinar & DVD $194.00 plus $9.45 S&H
DVD (Slide Presentation with Audio) Only $47.00 with Registration/DVD Combo
NASBA CPE Sponsor
Strafford Publications, Inc. is registered with the National Association of State Boards of Accountancy (NASBA) as a sponsor of continuing professional education on the National Registry of CPE Sponsors. State boards of accountancy have final authority on the acceptance of individual courses for CPE credit. Complaints regarding registered sponsors may be submitted to the National Registry of CPE Sponsors through its website: www.nasbaregistry.org.
IRS Approved Provider
Strafford is an IRS-approved continuing education provider offering certified courses for Enrolled Agents (EA) and Tax Return Preparers (RTRP).
Strafford is a NASBA CPE sponsor and our live webinars qualify for CPE credits. They offer you a high quality, cost effective, and convenient CPE option, with no lost travel time or expenses.
I loved the tools and handouts. Every CPE class should offer these kind of tools.
Sample and Bailey
Excellent seminar! It was efficient and the important topics were covered at just the right pace; no time was wasted covering information that the participants already knew.
Rhonda G. Williams, CPA
Barraclough & Associates
I appreciated the flow of the information offered and the ease at which I could follow the handouts.
WISS & Company
I purchased the conference a few minutes after it began and the customer service rep was very helpful and got me signed up and logged into the conference very quickly.
Savas Greene & Company
The conference was technical, informative and presented at a good pace.
Accounting Advisory Board
Making Auditors Proficient
Partner-In-Charge, Internal Audit & Risk Management
Partner-in-Charge, Non-Profit Tax Practice
Professor of Accounting
Roth & Co. CPAs
Steven J. Luber
Bluestein O'Krent & Bluestein
Ernst & Young
Principal, Non-Profit and Government Practice
Strand and Associates
Director of Business Development
Insight Accounting Group
Strafford webinars are backed by our 100% Unconditional Money-Back Guarantee: if you are not satisfied with any of our products, simply let us know and get a full refund. For more information regarding complaints and refunds, please contact us at 1-800-926-7926 ext 10. Complaints regarding this program can be submitted via the course evaluation found in the “Thank you” e-mail at the end of the course.