Electronic Medical Records: Minimizing Legal Risks and Liabilities
Avoiding HIPAA, Stark Law and Anti-Kickback Violations and Protecting Patient Privacy
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This seminar will examine the legal risks involved in managing and maintaining electronic health records systems, including an analysis of potential issues for healthcare providers with regard to patient privacy and HIPAA, Stark and Anti-Kickback compliance.
- Current developments
- The Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act (“HITECH”)
- Federal and state laws on data breach notification
- Red flag rules
- Privacy and security risks and best practices to minimize liability
- Electronic protected health information
- Medical identify theft
- Potential regulatory barriers to electronic health record technology and best practices to minimize liability
- Stark concerns
- Anti-kickback concerns
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- What is the impact of federal and state initiatives on hospitals and providers adopting electronic medical records management?
- How can providers effectively balance the need for access to records against HIPAA requirements for patient privacy and information security?
- What Stark Law and anti-kickback concerns arise for healthcare providers utilizing electronic records management?
Paul T. Smith
Davis Wright Tremaine
He represents hospitals and medical groups with corporate governance and regulatory compliance issues. He is Co-Chair... | Read More
He represents hospitals and medical groups with corporate governance and regulatory compliance issues. He is Co-Chair of the firm's Health Information Technology/HIPAA Task Force.Close
Robin K. Vinson
Smith Anderson Blount Dorsett Mitchell & Jernigan
He practices in the areas of business, banking, and healthcare law and litigation. He has spoken before various groups... | Read More
He practices in the areas of business, banking, and healthcare law and litigation. He has spoken before various groups concerning health law issues.Close
James B. Wieland
He counsels healthcare clients on all aspects of privacy issues, including state laws and HIPAA privacy standards. He... | Read More
He counsels healthcare clients on all aspects of privacy issues, including state laws and HIPAA privacy standards. He is a frequent speaker on healthcare issues.Close
Other Formats— Anytime, Anywhere
CLE On-Demand Audio