Derivative Works and Copyright: Scope, Termination, Infringement, Considerations for Drafting Permissions
A live 90-minute CLE webinar with interactive Q&A
This CLE webinar will provide guidance to IP counsel on derivative works and the scope of the derivative right. The panel will also discuss when it is copyright infringement to make/sell derivative works, and lessons from recent court decisions. The panel will offer insights on what this means for artists and their counsel when seeking copyright protection.
- When a work is derivative
- Scope of the derivative right
- Copyright infringement and derivative works
- Lessons from recent court treatment
- We Shall Overcome Foundation v. Richmond Org. (S.D.N.Y. Sept. 8, 2017)
- Practical considerations for drafting permissions to allow creation of a derivative work
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What is a derivative work and does the examination vary depending on the type of work—musical, software, literary?
- How have the courts treated derivative works?
- What are the practical considerations for drafting permissions to allow creation of a derivative work?
Loeb & Loeb
Mr. Dickstein maintains a broad-based litigation practice with a concentration on intellectual property matters in the... | Read More
Mr. Dickstein maintains a broad-based litigation practice with a concentration on intellectual property matters in the music, motion picture and advanced media industries. He has represented music publishers and record labels in copyright infringement and royalty disputes, defended major media companies in trademark infringement actions, and advised motion picture studios and film producers on copyright issues.Close
Jennifer L. Elgin
Bean Kinney & Korman
Ms. Elgin specializes in copyright, trademark, and right of publicity issues. A former in-house counsel for... | Read More
Ms. Elgin specializes in copyright, trademark, and right of publicity issues. A former in-house counsel for program acquisitions and trademark at Turner Broadcasting, she has led her clients through hundreds of matters involving licensing, protection, and defense of copyright rights; protection of valuable brands through trademark registration, infringement litigation, domain name infringement, and arbitration actions, among others.Close
Buy Live Webinar
Includes Early Discount Savings of $50 (through 02/23/18)
Buy Live Webinar & Recording
Includes special savings of $250 (through 02/23/18)
Live Webinar & Download
Live Webinar & DVD
$344 + $9.45 S&H