Deposition Techniques and Strategies: Beyond the Basics
Sharpening Evaluation, Questioning and Objection Skills in Taking or Defending Depositions
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will provide strategies for attorneys to hone their deposition skills. The panel will discuss sharpening witness evaluation skills, outline effective questioning techniques, and offer their experiences with methods to box in a witness.
- Preparing for depositions
- Developing a discovery strategy
- Determining whether to or not to take a deposition
- Preparing for the personality dynamics — the witness and opposing counsel
- Preparing the witness
- Conducting the deposition
- Determining your style
- Crafting questions to determine the deponent’s personality
- Ways to use exhibits
- Handling opposing counsel’s objections
- Listening techniques
- Defending the deposition
- Prepare your witness prior to the deposition
- Teach your witness listening skills
- Raising objections
- Ways to assert or gain control
- Using deposition testimony
- Post-deposition strategies
- Using deposition testimony during discovery
- Using deposition testimony during trial
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- What are the most effective deposition preparation techniques?
- What are the best methods to control the dynamics of the deposition?
- What deposition questioning techniques will maximize the information you obtain from the witness?
- What are the best strategies to defend the deposition?
- How can deposition testimony be most effectively used during the case?
Following the speaker presentations, you'll have an opportunity to get answers to your specific questions during the interactive Q&A.
Mark E. Goodman
Capes Sokol Goodman & Sarachan
Drawing on more than 38 years of legal experience, he counsels clients in the areas of commercial litigation, and is... | Read More
Drawing on more than 38 years of legal experience, he counsels clients in the areas of commercial litigation, and is Co-Chair of the firm’s Litigation Group. He lectures regularly for local and national continuing legal education programs on trial practice techniques and strategies and other litigation matters.Close
John A. Snow
His practice focuses on general civil litigation. He is listed in "The Best Lawyers in America" in the areas... | Read More
His practice focuses on general civil litigation. He is listed in "The Best Lawyers in America" in the areas of commercial litigation, construction law, and legal malpractice law, is recognized in "Mountain States Super Lawyers" in the area of business litigation and named one of Utah's legal elite in the areas of business and civil litigation and construction law by "Utah Business Magazine."Close