Demonstrating Use in Commerce for Trademark Applications
Navigating Use in Commerce Requirements Under the Lanham Act and for Purposes of Registration
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will provide guidance to trademark counsel on “use in commerce” for trademark applications under the Lanham Act as well as for trademark registrations. The panel will discuss the impact of recent decisions on use in commerce and will offer strategies for providing evidence of use in commerce.
- Use in commerce
- Under the Lanham Act
- For purposes of trademark registration
- Proper or acceptable evidence of use in commerce
- Best practices for demonstrating use in commerce
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What is the effect of the Federal Circuit’s fairly broad interpretation of use in commerce in determining what is necessary to register a trademark?
- How will the TTAB’s narrow reading of what constitutes use of a mark in interstate commerce impact applications or registrations?
- What strategies should counsel employ to demonstrate sufficient nexus between a trademark and use of the mark in commerce?
Stephen R. Baird
Winthrop & Weinstine
Mr. Baird heads the Intellectual Property and Trademark and Brand Management Practice Groups, and his practice... | Read More
Mr. Baird heads the Intellectual Property and Trademark and Brand Management Practice Groups, and his practice emphasizes trademark law, related unfair competition law and copyright law. He counsels clients on trademark usage and clearance, branding strategies, portfolio management, litigation and enforcement, Internet domain name disputes, licensing and prosecution.Close
Quarles & Brady
Mr. Hudis counsels clients in trademark, copyright, unfair competition and trade secrets matters and is well... | Read More
Mr. Hudis counsels clients in trademark, copyright, unfair competition and trade secrets matters and is well versed in trademark prosecution and registered copyright protection matters. He is an adjunct professor of trademark and unfair competition law at the George Mason University School of Law.Close
Linda K. McLeod
Ms. McLeod's practice focuses on litigation before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board and the courts, trademark... | Read More
Ms. McLeod's practice focuses on litigation before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board and the courts, trademark clearance and prosecution, and client counseling. She gained significant expertise while serving as Administrative Trademark Judge and Interlocutory Attorney with the TTAB. She sat on panels that decided cases involving a variety of marks, including product configurations and color trademarks.Close