Defending Motor Carrier Claims for Negligent Entrustment, Hiring, Training, and Retention
Discovery, Apportionment of Fault, Strategies for Averting Punitive Damages, and More
A live 90-minute CLE video webinar with interactive Q&A
This CLE course will discuss how to defend motor carriers against negligent entrustment, hiring, training, and retention lawsuits. The panel will guide counsel through the claims handling, evaluation, and discovery process; historical, emerging, and waning defenses; and the impact of Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration regulations.
- Negligent entrustment, hiring, and retention: elements of each claim
- Strategies to prevent claims
- Importance of effective background investigations
- Additional strategies
- Discovery strategies
- Affirmative defenses and motion practice
- Impact of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration regulations and the kinds of records you need to ensure your client has properly maintained
- Impact of a motor carrier's admission of vicarious liability on negligent entrustment, hiring, and retention claim
- Best practices for defense counsel to minimize the risk of negligent entrustment, hiring, and retention claims and/or limit certain kinds of evidence or arguments at trial
The panel will review these and other crucial issues:
- What makes negligent entrustment, hiring, or retention claims unique and challenging for personal injury plaintiff and defense counsel?
- What are the legal and practical considerations for personal injury attorneys pursuing negligent entrustment, hiring, or retention claims?
- What defenses are often raised in negligent entrustment, hiring, or retention claims, and how does the plaintiff's counsel respond to these defenses?
- What documentation can be used to support a claim or defense for negligent hiring, training entrustment or retention claims and how do defense counsel confirm that their client is in compliance with applicable regulations on document retention and oversight?
- What is the role of background checks in negligent entrustment cases?
Sarah E. Hansen
Burden Hafner & Hansen
Ms. Hansen is an experienced litigator who focuses her practice on defending personal injury cases. She represents... | Read More
Ms. Hansen is an experienced litigator who focuses her practice on defending personal injury cases. She represents clients in the areas of trucking and automobile accidents, employment law, labor law, municipal law/governmental liability, premises liability, products liability and general negligence. Ms. Hansen has been selected for membership in the Trucking Industry Defense Association (TIDA), the only international organization devoted to the defense of the trucking industry in personal injury, property damage, and workers’ compensation claims.Close
Lester S. Rosen
Founder, President and CEO
Employment Screening Resources (ESR)
Mr. Rosen is a consultant, writer and frequent presenter nationwide on pre-employment screening and safe hiring issues.... | Read More
Mr. Rosen is a consultant, writer and frequent presenter nationwide on pre-employment screening and safe hiring issues. His speaking appearances have included numerous national and statewide conferences. He has qualified and testified in the California. Florida and Arkansas Superior Court as an employment screening expert on issues surrounding safe hiring and due diligence.Close
Early Discount (through 02/25/22)
Cannot Attend March 17?
Early Discount (through 02/25/22)
You may pre-order a recording to listen at your convenience. Recordings are available 48 hours after the webinar. Strafford will process CLE credit for one person on each recording. All formats include course handouts.