Defeating or Limiting Class Actions With Early Dispositive Motions
Leveraging Summary Judgment, Motions to Dismiss or Strike Allegations, and Other Tactics to Dispose of or Limit Claims
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will provide guidance to class action defense counsel for defeating or limiting class claims through the strategic use of dispositive motions, including summary judgment motions, motions to dismiss, motions to strike and motions to deny certification.
- Summary judgment motions
- Motions to dismiss
- Motions to strike
- Motions to deny certification
- Other dispositive motions
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- Under what circumstances should defense counsel consider pursuing early dispositive motions in class litigation?
- What impact do early dispositive motions have on individual and class claims?
- What standards of review do the various circuits apply when deciding whether to grant each of the various types of early dispositive motions?
- What are some best practices for defense counsel for leveraging dispositive motions early on to defeat or limit class allegations?
Wystan M. Ackerman
Robinson & Cole
Mr. Ackerman chairs the firm's Class Action Team and has a national class action defense practice. He has been... | Read More
Mr. Ackerman chairs the firm's Class Action Team and has a national class action defense practice. He has been involved in defending more than 60 class actions in numerous jurisdictions and in many of those cases prevailed on a dispositive motion. Mr. Ackerman has defended putative class action cases involving insurance and financial services, products liability, data breaches, healthcare, consumer contracts, and securities. Mr. Ackerman has chaired the Class Action Special Litigation Group of the Commercial Litigation Committee of the DRI, and is currently Vice Chair of the Class Action and Multidistrict Section of the Federation of Defense and Corporate Counsel.Close
Kevin S. Ranlett
Mr. Ranlett is a litigator in the firm’s Supreme Court & Appellate and Consumer Litigation & Class... | Read More
Mr. Ranlett is a litigator in the firm’s Supreme Court & Appellate and Consumer Litigation & Class Actions practices. He has represented clients in dozens of class actions in state and federal courts across the country and has litigated cases in trial courts and before the American Arbitration Association. He also has a substantial appellate practice.Close