De-Identifying Protected Health Information
Using Expert Determination and Safe Harbor Methods to De-Identify PHI
OCR recently released guidance on de-identification methods
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will provide guidance to healthcare counsel on the new Office for Civil Rights (OCR) guidance and best practices to de-identify health information. The panel will also discuss the challenges of balancing the privacy risks against the need to use the information for research and other public priorities.
- OCR guidance on de-identifying PHI
Methods to de-identify PHI
- Expert determination method
- Safe harbor method
- Best practices for balancing privacy risks with the need to use the information
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- What guidance does the OCR provide for meeting the expert determination method?
- What guidance does the OCR give for meeting the safe harbor method?
- What factors should covered entities, business associates and others consider when deciding whether to de-identify PHI?
Following the speaker presentations, you'll have an opportunity to get answers to your specific questions during the interactive Q&A.
Dianne J. Bourque
Mintz Levin Cohn Ferris Glovsky and Popeo
Ms. Bourque counsels clients on the requirements of the HIPAA Privacy Rule and Security Standards. She regularly... | Read More
Ms. Bourque counsels clients on the requirements of the HIPAA Privacy Rule and Security Standards. She regularly assists clients with the implementation of HIPAA-mandated policies and procedures, privacy audits, third-party requests for information, and review of HIPAA-related contracts and forms. She also assists clients with the management of data breaches and other losses of protected health informationClose
to be announced.