Daubert/Frye Motions in Product Liability Litigation: Bringing or Defending Challenges to Expert Witness Evidence
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will examine the applicability of the Daubert/Frye standard to the presentation of expert testimony in product liability disputes. The panel will outline effective approaches to present or defend a Daubert challenge to the admission of expert testimony.
- Overview of Daubert standard
- Theory tested
- Peer review and publication
- Potential error rate
- Standards and control
- General acceptance
- Other reliability factors
- Bringing a Daubert challenge
- Mechanics of a challenge
- Strategic and tactical considerations
- Defending a Daubert challenge
- Critical questions when hiring an expert witness
- Relevance and reliability
- Curing a successful Daubert challenge
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- How can counsel effectively challenge an expert witness’ theories and whether those theories have been adequately tested?
- Under what circumstances should counsel consider not filing a Daubert motion?
- How can prior rulings involving an expert witness be used?
Stephen J. McConnell
Mr. McConnell defends clients in product liability and mass tort litigation. He has also handled securities litigation,... | Read More
Mr. McConnell defends clients in product liability and mass tort litigation. He has also handled securities litigation, complex commercial litigation, and white-collar criminal litigation. He is a former Assistant U.S. Attorney with ample first-chair experience in both government and private practice cases and has successfully argued significant matters before federal and state trial and appellate courts. Mr. McConnell has represented consumer products manufacturers and leading global medical device and pharmaceutical companies, including Wyeth, for whom he served as first-chair trial counsel in the diet drug litigation.Close
Sean P. Wajert
Office Managing Partner
Shook Hardy & Bacon
Mr. Wajert focuses primarily on complex commercial and products liability litigation. An experienced trial attorney, he... | Read More
Mr. Wajert focuses primarily on complex commercial and products liability litigation. An experienced trial attorney, he has represented clients in the chemical, consumer product, pharmaceutical, medical device, food and fragrance, and industrial products sectors when they face significant product liability and mass tort claims. Mr. Wajert has litigated cases in federal and state courts in dozens of jurisdictions.Close