Data Privacy and Security Compliance: Lessons for Corporate Counsel After Recent High Profile Breaches
Proactive Strategies to Avoid and Respond to a Data Breach or Cyber Attack
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will provide corporate counsel with an analysis of recent legal developments impacting data-privacy and information-security compliance. The panel will outline proactive strategies to reduce the likelihood of a data breach and provide best practices for responding if a breach occurs.
- Recent legal developments
- Federal law developments
- State law developments
- International law developments
- Recent litigation and settlements
- Restricting access to certain information
- Encryption of sensitive and/or personally identifiable information
- Written security policies that are consistently enforced
- Internal training on appropriate responses to data breach
- Regular monitoring of networks
- Contracting with cloud computing vendors
- Obtaining cybersecurity insurance
- Responding to security breaches
- What triggers a notification duty?
- Rapid notification of key company officials
- Investigation of the breach
- Timing of notification to affected individuals and state officials
- Memorializing actions taken in response to a security breach
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What proactive strategies should counsel take to protect the private information of customers, employees and the company?
- What response policies should corporate counsel establish to minimize liability for disclosure of confidential information if a breach occurs?
- What terms and conditions should counsel include in agreements with cloud computing vendors to minimize the risk of data breach?
Robert D. Brownstone
Technology & eDiscovery Counsel
Fenwick & West
Mr. Brownstone advises clients on information-security, data-privacy, electronic discovery, electronic information... | Read More
Mr. Brownstone advises clients on information-security, data-privacy, electronic discovery, electronic information management, retention/destruction policies, workplace technology-use policies and social-media rewards and risks. A nationwide advisor, speaker, writer and adjunct law professor on many law-and-technology issues, he is frequently quoted in the press as a resource on electronic information.Close
Brent E. Kidwell
Jenner & Block
Mr. Kidwell is the Firm’s Chief Knowledge Counsel. He helps clients proactively prepare for electronic discovery... | Read More
Mr. Kidwell is the Firm’s Chief Knowledge Counsel. He helps clients proactively prepare for electronic discovery and reactively implement strategies and plans for collecting, processing, analyzing and producing data in litigation. He has assisted clients in managing terabytes of data efficiently and cost-effectively, and also advises them on digital forensics, information and records management strategies, data security, protection and privacy issues.Close