Cryptocurrency: Evolving Regulatory Landscape, Recent SEC, CFTC, FinCEN, IRS Enforcement Actions
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will provide an up-to-date look at the current regulatory landscape for cryptocurrency issuers, investors and traders. The panel will discuss recent enforcement actions by the SEC, the CFTC, the IRS and FinCEN, and what the actions mean for companies engaged in blockchain ventures supported by cryptocurrency, as well as those operating platforms in which they are traded.
- Distributed ledgers, blockchain and digital currency
- SEC: Securities Act registration requirements; actions for noncompliance
- CFTC: cryptocurrency as a commodity; actions for fraud and manipulation
- FinCEN: “convertible” virtual currency; money laundering and other actions
- IRS: obligation to report capital gains and other income; recent actions
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- Why does the SEC view most digital tokens as securities, and what are registration requirements?
- When is cryptocurrency viewed as a commodity, and what are the ramifications for traders?
- What makes a token a convertible currency, and what kinds of FinCEN enforcement actions have resulted?
- Why might reporting transactions to the IRS be particularly problematic in the blockchain environment?
Mr. Savic represents clients in all stages of litigation and alternative dispute resolution proceedings. His litigation... | Read More
Mr. Savic represents clients in all stages of litigation and alternative dispute resolution proceedings. His litigation practice focuses on commercial litigation in federal and state courts in various subject matters ranging from civil RICO claims to misappropriation of trade secrets, unfair competition, and breaches of fiduciary duties. He also assists businesses in avoiding costly litigation by assuring that clients have safeguards in place at all stages of business management. He works with clients on formation, employment, shareholders, and licensing agreements.Close
Mr. Shipkevich's practice concentrates on futures, commodities, and derivatives regulatory, transactional, and... | Read More
Mr. Shipkevich's practice concentrates on futures, commodities, and derivatives regulatory, transactional, and enforcement matters. He has a strong legal background in corporate governance, compliance, regulatory, and collateral issues associated with these areas. He performs transactional work for Futures Commissions Merchants (FCMs), Retail Foreign Exchange Dealers (RFEDs), Introducing Brokers (IBs), Commodity Pool Operators (CPOs), Commodity Trading Advisors (CTAs), Swap Dealers (SDs), Swap Execution Facilities (SEFs), and domestic and offshore hedge funds. He guides clients on procedures related to registration with the U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) and National Futures Association (NFA), as well as domestic and international regulators in local jurisdictions.Close