Attacking Class Experts' Methodology, Conclusions and Reports to Obtain or Defeat Certification
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will discuss the effective use of cross-examination to challenge an opposing expert’s methodology, conclusions and draft reports in class action litigation. The panel will outline practical strategies counsel should use during deposition and at trial to expose flaws in the expert’s opinion and ultimately prevail in demonstrating that the Rule 23(a) requirements for class certification have or have not been met.
- Role of experts in class action litigation
- Expert witness cross-examination strategies
- At deposition
- At trial
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What is the role of experts in the class certification decision?
- What cross-examination strategies should class action counsel employ during expert depositions to better position his or her case for success?
- What cross-examination tactics have been effective for class action attorneys during the class certification hearing to discredit opposing expert witnesses?
Sean P. Costello, Esq.
Law Office of Sean P. Costello
Mr. Costello has litigated product liability cases, represented individuals in SEC and other government... | Read More
Mr. Costello has litigated product liability cases, represented individuals in SEC and other government investigations, and managed billion-dollar class action lawsuits. He is a published author on legal issues and frequently speaks on complex legal issues. He previously worked as a litigator at Jones Day and then as an "in house" lawyer for one of the nation's largest insurance companies, handling their class action and complex litigation.Close
Mr. Dubanevich is a trial lawyer with over 30 years of experience in more than a dozen different jurisdictions around... | Read More
Mr. Dubanevich is a trial lawyer with over 30 years of experience in more than a dozen different jurisdictions around the country. He focuses his practice on complex dispute resolution and has extensive experience handling multistate and international antitrust cases, consumer litigation and securities disputes. He was recently Associate Attorney General and Chief of Staff at the Oregon Department of Justice.Close