Corporate Board Composition and Evaluation Under Heightened Investor Scrutiny: Legal Considerations
Best Practices Regarding Diversity, Quality, Director Tenure and More
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will provide guidance to Corporate Secretaries and Corporate Counsel for reviewing and, when necessary, adjusting their company’s practices regarding Board composition and structure, and for evaluating the effectiveness of the Board and its Committees. The panel will discuss how Corporate Secretaries and Corporate Counsel can help to prepare the company to withstand heightened scrutiny of Board size and diversity, director expertise, knowledge, compensation and tenure, governance structures, and more.
- Latest trends impacting Board composition and effectiveness
- Building a high-functioning Board—considerations and best practices
- Evaluating Board effectiveness—considerations and best practices
- Documenting the Board evaluation—considerations and best practices
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What factors should corporations and their Corporate Secretaries and Corporate Counsel take into account when determining the composition of their Boards of Directors?
- What areas should corporations and their Corporate Secretaries and Corporate Counsel specifically examine when evaluating the effectiveness of the Board?
- How should the results of the Board evaluation be documented?
President & Managing Director
Governance Partners Group
Mr. Marcela leads Governance Partners Group, a corporate governance consulting firm that provides outsources Chief... | Read More
Mr. Marcela leads Governance Partners Group, a corporate governance consulting firm that provides outsources Chief Governance Officer services to companies that have a need to practice good corporate governance but may not have sufficient internal resources to practice good governance in an appropriately robust manner. He previously served as Vice President, General Counsel & Secretary of North American Bus Industries, Inc. and also served NABI’s sister company, Blue Bird Corporation. Previously, he was Associate General Counsel & Assistant Secretary of Dow Corning Corporation, a substantial global specialty chemical company equally owned by The Dow Chemical Company and Corning, Incorporated.Close
Mark J. Mihanovic
McDermott Will & Emery
Mr. Mihanovic's practice is primarily focused in the areas of corporate finance and mergers and acquisitions... | Read More
Mr. Mihanovic's practice is primarily focused in the areas of corporate finance and mergers and acquisitions involving companies in a broad range of industries. He has substantial experience advising corporate boards of directors and management regarding fiduciary duties (including in connection with potential change in control transactions and consideration of "poison pill" stockholders rights plans) and corporate governance issues. He advises publicly-traded companies and investment banks and other financial advisers with respect to a wide variety of securities law compliance matters.Close