Composite Returns and Nonresident Withholding for Pass-Through Entities: Navigating the Multistate Complexities
Determining Whether to File Composite Returns, Dealing With Withholding Requirements
Recording of a 110-minute CPE webinar with Q&A
This webinar will offer tax professionals a deep dive into composite tax provisions and withholding requirements of pass-through entities with nonresident shareholders and partners. The panel will provide an advanced level look at the specific issues facing tax advisers to pass-through entities regarding composite returns and withholding requirements for pass-through entities that have nonresident shareholders.
- The landscape of withholding requirements and composite returns
- Withholding requirements on nonresident shareholders/partners
- Measures to enforce nonresident filing and payment of taxes
- Mechanics of electing and filing composite returns
- Taxation of the disposition of interest by nonresident
- Tax reporting and planning issues specific to S corporations
- Elections and strategies
The panel will discuss these and other essential questions:
- Which states offer elections other than defaulting to withholding on nonresident partners or shareholders?
- What are the built-in exceptions to withholding requirements for pass-through entities with nonresident shareholders?
- Which states offer the option of electing to file composite returns? Which states require composites?
- When should a pass-through entity not elect to file a composite return?
- What are the specific risks to identify and avoid for withholding for nonresident shareholders or partners?
William C. Brown
Mr. Brown has practiced law in the areas of taxation, securities, business planning, estate planning and banking for... | Read More
Mr. Brown has practiced law in the areas of taxation, securities, business planning, estate planning and banking for over 30 years. He has particular expertise in the area of taxation of S corporations. He represents business clients in all aspects of their business operations, including mergers and acquisitions, capital formation, equity and debt financing, business planning, employee fringe benefits, board of directors operations and duties, shareholder matters, estate planning and contract negotiations. He has published articles and has presented on tax issues affecting businesses and their owners.Close
Ms. Buresh has over 12 years of experience in state and local tax. She provides corporate and high net worth clients... | Read More
Ms. Buresh has over 12 years of experience in state and local tax. She provides corporate and high net worth clients with consulting services on a full range of state and local tax issues involving income/franchise taxes, sales/use taxes, gross receipts taxes, and unclaimed property. Ms. Buresh’s practice includes advising clients on state and local tax issues associated with tax refund and planning opportunities, tax controversies, corporate restructurings, mergers and acquisitions, voluntary disclosures, state residency, and credits and incentives. Prior to joining Andersen Tax, she was with Arthur Andersen and PwC.Close
Other Formats— Anytime, Anywhere
CPE On-DemandSee NASBA details.