Composite Returns and Nonresident Withholding for Pass-Through Entities: Navigating the Multistate Complexities
Determining Whether to File Composite Returns, Dealing With Withholding Requirements
A live 110-minute CPE webinar with interactive Q&A
This webinar will offer tax professionals a deep dive into composite tax provisions and withholding requirements of pass-through entities with nonresident shareholders and/or partners. The panel will provide an advanced-level look at the specific issues facing tax advisers to pass-through entities regarding composite returns and withholding requirements for pass-through entities that have nonresident shareholders.
- Landscape of withholding requirements and composite returns
- Withholding requirements on nonresident shareholders/partners
- Measures to enforce nonresident filing and payment of taxes
- Mechanics of electing and filing composite returns
- Taxation of disposition of interest by nonresident
- Tax reporting and planning issues specific to S corporations
- Elections and strategies
The panel will discuss these and other important questions:
- Which states offer elections other than defaulting to withholding on nonresident partners or shareholders?
- What are the built-in exceptions to withholding requirements for pass-through entities with nonresident shareholders?
- Which states offer the option of electing to file composite returns? Which states require composites?
- When should a pass-through entity not elect to file a composite return?
- What are the specific risks to identify and avoid in withholding for nonresident shareholders or partners?
Jeff Weinkle, CPA
Manager, State & Local Tax
Mr. Weinkle specializes in state and local taxation and has experience in assisting domestic and international clients... | Read More
Mr. Weinkle specializes in state and local taxation and has experience in assisting domestic and international clients in all industries with multistate tax issues, including income/franchise, sales & use and withholding. In addition to his work in the state and local tax field, he manages the firm’s Domestic-International Sales Corporation (DISC) export incentive practice. He authored articles on state tax legislation and incentives for local and regional publications.Close
William C. Brown
Mr. Brown has practiced law in the areas of taxation, securities, business planning, estate planning and banking for... | Read More
Mr. Brown has practiced law in the areas of taxation, securities, business planning, estate planning and banking for over 30 years. He has particular expertise in the area of taxation of S corporations. He represents business clients in all aspects of their business operations, including mergers and acquisitions, capital formation, equity and debt financing, business planning, employee fringe benefits, board of directors operations and duties, shareholder matters, estate planning and contract negotiations. He has published articles and has presented on tax issues affecting businesses and their owners.Close
Buy Live Webinar
CPE credit processing is available for an additional fee of $35. CPE processing must be ordered prior to the event.
See NASBA details.
Live Webinar & CPE Processing
Buy Live Webinar & Recording
A savings of $100
Live Webinar & Download