Compensation Arrangements With Rock Star Physicians: Key Legal and Fair Market Value Considerations
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will guide healthcare counsel on rock star physician compensation arrangements. The panel will discuss determining whether a physician is a rock star and will examine Stark Law, fair market value (FMV), and commercial reasonableness considerations. The panel will offer best practices for structuring rock star physician compensation arrangements.
- Whether a physician is a Rock Star;
- The potential legal and regulatory pitfalls in compensation arrangements with Rock Star Physicians, including under the federal Stark Law, Antikickback Statute, tax-exemption requirements such as Section 501(c)(3) and the new Section 4960 of the Internal Revenue Code, and various types of state laws;
- FMV and reasonableness as appropriate to comply with legal and regulatory restrictions and avoid pitfalls; and
- Best practices for contracting with Rock Star Physicians.
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What makes a physician a Rock Star physician?
- The potential legal and regulatory pitfalls in compensation arrangements with Rock Star physicians, including under the Stark law, Anti-Kickback Statute, tax-exemption requirements such as Section 501(c)(3) and the new Section 4960 of the Internal Revenue Code, and various types of state laws
- The concepts of fair market value and commercial reasonableness as applied to Rock Star physicians
- Best practices for contracting with Rock Star physicians
Andrea M. Ferrari, JD, MPH
Ms. Ferrari is a Partner based in the Boca Raton... | Read More
Ms. Ferrari is a Partner based in the Boca Raton office of HealthCare Appraisers. Ms. Ferrari works with clients in all 50 states. Her focus areas include:
- Assisting clients in the transition to value-based payments, including structuring, evaluating and identifying issues in incentive payments made in the context of coordinated care and alignment strategies, such as formation of clinically integrated networks, accountable care organizations, gainsharing arrangements and “Hospital Quality and Efficiency Programs”;
- Fair market value in clinical research and clinical trial agreements, including assisting clients with budgeting for clinical research and planning provider compensation in the context of clinical research and clinical trial agreements;
- Valuation of provider recruitment and retention strategies, including income guarantees and recruitment bonuses for providers in shortage areas;
- Compensation valuations for public, tax-supported and safety-net provider organizations, including public hospitals and health systems;
- Compensation for academic and uniquely experienced Thought Leader and “Rockstar” physicians; and
- Fair market value analysis for due diligence and litigation support.
Joseph N. Wolfe
Hall Render Killian Heath & Lyman
Mr. Wolfe provides advice and counsel to many of the nation's largest health systems, hospitals and medical groups... | Read More
Mr. Wolfe provides advice and counsel to many of the nation's largest health systems, hospitals and medical groups on a variety of health care issues. He regularly counsels clients on a national basis regarding compliance-focused physician compensation strategies. Mr. Wolfe is a frequent speaker on issues related to the physician self-referral statute (Stark Law), hospital-physician transactions, physician compensation and health care fair market value issues. Before attending law school at the University of Wisconsin, he served as a combat engineer in the United States Army.Close