Compensation Arrangements With Rock Star Physicians: Key Legal and Fair Market Value Considerations
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will guide healthcare counsel on rock star physician compensation arrangements. The panel will discuss determining whether a physician is a rock star and will examine Stark Law, fair market value (FMV), and commercial reasonableness considerations. The panel will offer best practices for structuring rock star physician compensation arrangements.
- Whether a physician is a Rock Star;
- The potential legal and regulatory pitfalls in compensation arrangements with Rock Star Physicians, including under the federal Stark Law, Antikickback Statute, tax-exemption requirements such as Section 501(c)(3) and the new Section 4960 of the Internal Revenue Code, and various types of state laws;
- FMV and reasonableness as appropriate to comply with legal and regulatory restrictions and avoid pitfalls; and
- Best practices for contracting with Rock Star Physicians.
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What makes a physician a Rock Star physician?
- The potential legal and regulatory pitfalls in compensation arrangements with Rock Star physicians, including under the Stark law, Anti-Kickback Statute, tax-exemption requirements such as Section 501(c)(3) and the new Section 4960 of the Internal Revenue Code, and various types of state laws
- The concepts of fair market value and commercial reasonableness as applied to Rock Star physicians
- Best practices for contracting with Rock Star physicians
Andrea M. Ferrari, JD, MPH
Ms. Ferrari focuses on physician payments related... | Read More
Ms. Ferrari focuses on physician payments related to hospital-physician alignment and efficiency improvement strategies, valuation of services provided by physician-hospital organizations, payments for services provided in connection with clinical research/clinical trial agreements, payments for physician supervision of midlevel practitioners, and health practitioner recruitment and support arrangements. She has provided counsel and representation to various types of clients in the healthcare industry, including hospitals, physicians and physician groups, and pharmaceutical and medical device vendors, distributors, and manufacturers. She works with clients in all 50 states.
Joseph N. Wolfe
Hall Render Killian Heath & Lyman
Mr. Wolfe provides advice and counsel to many of the nation's largest health systems, hospitals and medical groups... | Read More
Mr. Wolfe provides advice and counsel to many of the nation's largest health systems, hospitals and medical groups on a variety of health care issues. He regularly counsels clients on a national basis regarding compliance-focused physician compensation strategies. Mr. Wolfe is a frequent speaker on issues related to the physician self-referral statute (Stark Law), hospital-physician transactions, physician compensation and health care fair market value issues. Before attending law school at the University of Wisconsin, he served as a combat engineer in the United States Army.Close