Combating Plaintiffs' Reptilian Tactics in Commercial Vehicle, Premises Liability, Products Liability, and Med Mal Cases
Responding to Reptile Techniques During Discovery, Deposition, Voir Dire, Opening Statement, Cross-Examination, and Closing Argument
Recording of a 90-minute CLE video webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will guide litigators in recognizing and combating the trial strategy leveraging the so-called "reptile theory" in commercial vehicle accident claims, premises liability, and medical malpractice cases. The panel will discuss the increased use of reptilian tactics by plaintiffs' attorneys and how defense counsel can strategically confront the strategy.
- Reptilian tactics in litigation: an explanation of the theory and current trends in its use
- Defense strategies during discovery and depositions
- Pretrial strategies to limit or exclude the reptile theory
- Combating the reptile during trial
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What is the underlying basis for the strategy known as the "reptile theory"?
- How are plaintiffs' attorneys leveraging reptile tactics in their cases?
- How can defense attorneys spot and identify reptile tactics before they occur?
- How can defense attorneys prepare for, defend, and counter the increasing use of reptilian tactics?
Dr. Ken Broda-Bahm, Ph.D.
Senior Litigation Consultant
Dr. Ken Broda-Bahm has provided research and strategic advice on several hundred cases across the country for the past... | Read More
Dr. Ken Broda-Bahm has provided research and strategic advice on several hundred cases across the country for the past 21 years, applying a doctorate in communication emphasizing the areas of legal persuasion and rhetoric. As a tenured Associate Professor of Communication Studies, he has taught courses including legal communication, argumentation, persuasion, and research methods. He has trained and consulted in 19 countries around the world and is Past President of the American Society of Trial Consultants.Close
Douglas B. Marcello
Marcello & Kivisto
Mr. Marcello defends trucking companies in Central Pennsylvania and throughout the country.| Read More
Mr. Marcello defends trucking companies in Central Pennsylvania and throughout the country.Close