Climate Change Risks: Corporate Disclosure Requirements
Navigating the Groundbreaking SEC Guidance to Meet Corporate Reporting Obligations
New guidance issued Jan. 27
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will discuss the SEC's new guidance for corporate disclosure of material climate change risks and provide best practices for meeting the new requirements and expectations.
- SEC Guidance
- Disclosure requirements
- Areas where climate change may trigger disclosure requirements
- Strategies for meeting disclosure requirements
- Internal controls and procedures relating to climate change
- Voluntary v. mandatory climate risk reporting
- Determining what risks should be disclosed
- Developing policies and procedures to inform management and directors regarding climate issues
- Other related trends
- Recent settlements with New York Attorney General
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- What areas does the guidance highlight as examples of where climate change may trigger disclosure requirements?
- What climate change risks are companies required to disclose under current state and federal laws and regulations?
- When does climate change risk constitute new "material" risks and opportunities for companies that require reporting under current SEC regulations?
- What steps can companies and counsel take to minimize the risk that more extensive disclosures will expose them to in civil litigation?
Jeffrey A. Smith
Cravath Swaine & Moore
His practice encompasses environmental matters relating to financings, underwritings and mergers and acquisitions in... | Read More
His practice encompasses environmental matters relating to financings, underwritings and mergers and acquisitions in all industries. He counsels on environmental issues of interest to the SEC. He also counsels on environmental management, climage change and related corporate governance issues, shareholder relations involving environmental matters and environmental litigation.Close
Senior Program Manager
He works with institutional investors to improve corporate environmental practices, organizes training workshops for... | Read More
He works with institutional investors to improve corporate environmental practices, organizes training workshops for investors, and produces Ceres publications on climate risk. He also manages campaigns to promote mandatory corporate climate risk disclosure and to help investors engage with asset managers to address this risk.Close