Class Actions on Data Breach and Privacy on the Rise
Litigating Class Claims, Alleging and Challenging Damages, and Evaluating Insurance Coverage
1st Circuit hands plaintiffs victory on damages issue
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will review new and emerging liability theories in data breach and privacy litigation, hurdles for plaintiffs, potential defenses, and recent case law and data breach settlements. The panel will also discuss insurance coverage to minimize liability and the cost of litigation.
- Common and emerging legal theories of liability
- Involuntary v. voluntary breaches
- Statutory claims v. common law theories
- What plaintiffs look for in assessing a case
- Recent notable settlements
- Litigation strategies
- Maximizing insurance coverage
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- What are the emerging theories of privacy liability for misuse of customer personal identification data?
- Does the disclosure of a customer’s personal data represent a loss of value, or do plaintiffs need to establish additional costs related to the breach?
- What insurance coverage may be available to cover privacy and data breaches and how can companies maximize existing insurance coverage?
Following the speaker presentations, you'll have an opportunity to get answers to your specific questions during the interactive Q&A.
Donna L. Wilson
Ms. Wilson represents financial services providers, including banks, mortgage companies, national retailers,... | Read More
Ms. Wilson represents financial services providers, including banks, mortgage companies, national retailers, franchisors, telecommunications and media companies in a variety of privacy and information security, fair credit and state unfair and deceptive trade practice matters. She writes and lectures extensively on class action litigation, privacy and data breach issues, and insurance coverage.Close
Linda D. Kornfeld
Jenner & Block
A nationally recognized insurance coverage litigator with extensive trial and appellate experience, she represents... | Read More
A nationally recognized insurance coverage litigator with extensive trial and appellate experience, she represents corporate and individual policyholders in high-stakes cases and has recovered hundreds of millions of dollars for her clients in insurance matters. She provides strategic counseling to in-house counsel and senior executives on mitigating risk and maximizing insurance recoveries.Close
Tracy D. Rezvani
She specializes in the prosecution of complex class action litigation, primarily involving antitrust violations,... | Read More
She specializes in the prosecution of complex class action litigation, primarily involving antitrust violations, consumer fraud and securities fraud. She currently serves as the Consumer Chair of the District of Columbia Bar's Antitrust and Consumer Steering Committee.Close