Class Action Settlement Strategies
Thwarting Professional Objectors and Managing Attorneys Fees, Notice Requirements, and Cy Pres Awards
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will discuss best practices to structure a settlement to obtain court approval. The panel will discuss the key challenging issues such as notice, attorney fees, opt-out provisions, coupon and cy pres settlements, and collateral attacks on settlements.
- Settlement strategies
- Fair, reasonable and adequate requirement
- Notice requirements and use of alternative media
- Coupon settlements
- Cy pres awards
- Attorneys’ fees
- Opt-out rights
- Defending a settlement and maximizing its advantages
- Claim preclusion
- Enforcing claims bar
- Court’s injunctive powers to protect settlement
- Collateral attacks on class action settlements
- Professional objectors
- Attorneys soliciting opt-outs
- Attorney General objections
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- What constitutes reasonable notice and how can counsel effectively use social media to publicize a proposed settlement?
- How have judges viewed cy pres awards and coupon settlements?
- How can counsel best address opt-out class members?
- How can counsel defend objections to settlements by "professional" objectors?
David H. Stern
Winston & Strawn
With 20 years of experience, he focuses his practice on complex commercial litigation. He has considerable trial... | Read More
With 20 years of experience, he focuses his practice on complex commercial litigation. He has considerable trial experience in state and federal courts, representing major clients in antitrust, class actions, intellectual property, and media/entertainment matters. He also has significant experience litigating contract, copyright, trademark, securities, real estate, and unfair competition matters.Close
Arias Ozzello & Gignac
He has resolved hundreds of matters by trial, arbitration, mediation or negotiated settlement, resulting in millions of... | Read More
He has resolved hundreds of matters by trial, arbitration, mediation or negotiated settlement, resulting in millions of dollars in recovery for plaintiffs. His most recent trial resulted in a judgment and subsequent settlement in excess of $14 million. His most recent settlement exceeded $19 million. He has written and lectured on various subjects at law schools, legal seminars and conferences.Close
Todd L. Nunn
His practice emphasizes electronic discovery and document production and class action defense. His class action... | Read More
His practice emphasizes electronic discovery and document production and class action defense. His class action defense experience includes defense of numerous nationwide and statewide consumer protection class actions. He has also defended government regulation, products liability, environmental, employment and securities class actions.Close