Claims Against Long-Term Care Facilities: Negligence, Damages, and Individual Criminal Liability
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will guide elder law counsel on the legal issues and critical challenges in pursuing claims against long-term care facilities and related service providers. The panel will discuss federal and state regulations, standards of care, service provider negligence, damages, recent cases, and enforcement actions, and potential criminal liability.
- Governing laws, regulations, and oversight
- Standard of care requirements for long-term care facilities
- Key considerations and mishaps to avoid in the pursuit of claims against long-term care facilities
- Gathering supporting documentation
- Settlement options and negotiation strategies
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What are the governing laws and regulations applicable to long-term care facilities?
- What oversight organizations exist and what are their essential functions?
- What are the standard of care requirements for long-term care facilities?
- What are the potential causes of action for noncompliance?
- What are the considerations and mistakes to avoid in pursuing claims against a long-term care facility or service provider?
- What are the potential challenges in gathering the required supporting documentation?
- Who could be subject to potential criminal prosecution?
- What are the critical considerations in negotiating settlements?
Margaret Battersby Black
Levin & Perconti
Ms. Black has played a key role in a number of nursing home and medical malpractice cases. She is well-known for her... | Read More
Ms. Black has played a key role in a number of nursing home and medical malpractice cases. She is well-known for her work on behalf of individuals and families in lawsuits involving nursing home abuse and negligence. Among Ms. Black’s most notable results is a $4.1 million record Illinois jury verdict in 2017 in a nursing home medication error lawsuit. She has also achieved many seven figure and significant six figure settlements for her nursing home clients. She is a frequent speaker on nursing home litigation.Close
Levin & Perconti
Mr. Emerson served as an extern for the Honorable James N. O'Hara, Circuit Court of Cook County, Law Division in... | Read More
Mr. Emerson served as an extern for the Honorable James N. O'Hara, Circuit Court of Cook County, Law Division in Chicago. As an extern, he researched and drafted weekly memoranda and orders for judicial review on legal issues involving motions to dismiss and motions for summary judgment in a range of cases including product liability, medical negligence, and motor vehicle accident matters.Close
Monica C. Fillmore
Ms. Fillmore is a skilled litigator who represents healthcare providers and institutions in long-term care, medical... | Read More
Ms. Fillmore is a skilled litigator who represents healthcare providers and institutions in long-term care, medical malpractice, and dental malpractice matters. She also has experience successfully representing her clients throughout professional board proceedings and in personal injury cases.Close
Bryan A. Ruggiero
Levin & Perconti
As a law clerk for Levin & Perconti, Mr. Ruggiero closely assisted attorneys during depositions and trials,... | Read More
As a law clerk for Levin & Perconti, Mr. Ruggiero closely assisted attorneys during depositions and trials, frequently managing deposition preparation of expert physician and nurse witnesses. He was also responsible for drafting settlement demand letters, pleadings, mediation submissions, pre-trial memoranda, and other substantive motions, including an appellate brief for a medical malpractice case involving challenges to the validity of expert testimony.Close