CERCLA: Federal vs. State Liability Protections, Defenses, and Due Care Obligations During Property Acquisitions
A live 90-minute CLE webinar with interactive Q&A
This CLE webinar will provide practical guidance to environmental counsel on the differences and similarities between federal and state liability protections under CERCLA, and best practices for choosing which programs to most effectively limit client exposure.
- CERCLA overview
- Federal programs
- State regimes
- Strategic and practical considerations
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What are the key differences between federal CERCLA and state remediation programs?
- What happens when state law addresses liability differently than federal law?
- What are the best practices for evaluating which program provides the most robust protections?
- How does a party conduct an "all appropriate inquiry"?
- How does a purchaser qualify as a bona fide purchaser?
- What are the most critical legal, technical and practical aspects of contaminated site remediation projects?
- What are the most pressing emerging issues in environmental due diligence?
- What are the most common similarities and differences between state and federal regulatory regimes?
Charles B. Howland
Curtis Mallet-Prevost Colt & Mosle
Mr. Howland is head of the firm’s Environmental Group. His work focuses on providing practical advice in the... | Read More
Mr. Howland is head of the firm’s Environmental Group. His work focuses on providing practical advice in the acquisition and sale of facilities and the re-development of brownfield sites; counselling, enforcement, and litigation matters involving facility cleanups under federal and state laws; risk management plan preparation and emergency release/spill reporting; crafting real estate and other commercial transactions to address environmental concerns; and helping businesses identify ways to advance their operations in accord with national and international sustainability initiatives. Mr. Howland is nationally known for his work helping to facilitate the development of renewable energy projects on environmentally impaired land.Close
Megan M. Roberts-Satinsky
Linowes and Blocher
Ms. Roberts-Satinsky counsels developers, builders, and residential and commercial property owners on environmental... | Read More
Ms. Roberts-Satinsky counsels developers, builders, and residential and commercial property owners on environmental law, land use entitlements, regulatory compliance, permitting, transactional due diligence, and litigation. Her environmental practice includes transactional due diligence for contaminated properties and brownfields redevelopment. Ms. Roberts-Satinsky assists clients with pursuing approvals under voluntary cleanup programs. Her experience also includes handling natural resources issues such as wetlands, forests, critical area, and endangered species. In litigation matters, Ms. Roberts-Satinsky has represented both plaintiffs and defendants in environmental and real estate matters before both state and federal courts.Close
Buy Live Webinar
Includes Early Discount Savings of $50 (through 07/12/19)
Buy Live Webinar & Recording
Includes special savings of $250 (through 07/12/19)
Live Webinar & Download
Live Webinar & DVD
$344 + $19.45 S&H