Carbon Emission Credit Trading: Emerging Legal Complexities
Capitalizing on Greenhouse Gas Reduction Requirements
EPA's April 17 Endangerment Finding Paves Way for GHG Emissions Regulation
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This seminar will discuss the federal, state and regional actions regarding reduction of greenhouse gases, update the status and viability of carbon credit projects, and offer solutions to the complexities involved in carbon emissions trading.
- Legal environment
- Federal legislative status — what’s around the road?
- Federal regulatory (EPA ANPR)
- Federal judicial
- States — regional/state action
- Implications (by industry sector)
- Likely impact on carbon trading
- Emissions trading
- International (Kyoto Protocol/ETS)
- U.S. response
- Business response
- Carbon credit projects
- Overview of types of projects approved under the Kyoto Protocol
- Landfill gas
- Capturing flared natural gas
- Fuel switching
- Wind energy
- Reforestation and avoided deforestation
- Carbon finance
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- What are the legal and regulatory frameworks for GHG emission reduction programs in the United States and other parts of the world?
- What are the best strategies for companies and counsel to understand the legal uncertainties involved in reducing emissions?
- How can companies take advantage of the emerging opportunities for carbon trading to reduce overall GHG emissions?
Reed D. Rubinstein
He concentrates on environmental and administrative law and handles matters involving development, implementation, and... | Read More
He concentrates on environmental and administrative law and handles matters involving development, implementation, and management of environmental, health, and safety programs for clients. He also handles matters involving structuring pollution, cost-cap, and other risk transfer insurance, litigating environmental and mass tort coverage claims.Close
Paul E. Gutermann
Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld
He litigates cutting-edge issues arising under all the major statutes and negotiates environmental issues in corporate... | Read More
He litigates cutting-edge issues arising under all the major statutes and negotiates environmental issues in corporate mergers, divestitures and restructuring. He represents clients in connection with the development of federal legislation, including efforts to regulate carbon emissions under the Clean Air Act.Close
Gregory J. Casas
Mr. Casas focuses his practice in antitrust, complex business litigation, and energy and natural resources law.... | Read More
Mr. Casas focuses his practice in antitrust, complex business litigation, and energy and natural resources law. He has experience in greenhouse gas emissions trading under the EU ETS and the Kyoto Protocol. He also litigates power plant disputes, disputes arising out of oil and gas leases and joint operating agreements and product liability claims.Close
Access Anytime, Anywhere
Strafford will process CLE credit for one person on each recording. All formats include course handouts.
CLE On-Demand Audio