Carbon Capture and Sequestration: Evolving Legal Challenges
Mitigating Climate Change Legal Risks and Managing Long-Term Liabilities
Recording of a 90-minute premium CLE webinar with Q&A
This seminar will examine the legal challenges that face companies and counsel dealing with climate change issues, best practices for responding to those challenges, and the impact of recent legislative and regulatory developments.
- Regulatory and legislative developments
- State law/legislation
- Federal developments
- Carbon Storage Stewardship Trust Fund Act of 2009 (Casey-Enzi bill)
- Department of Energy Carbon Capture and Sequestration Program Amendments Act of 2009 (Bingaman bill)
- International developments
- Legal issues of carbon capture
- Ownership of the storage reservoir
- Mineral rights
- Groundwater rights
- Acquisition of rights to substances underground
- Carbon offset rights
- Basis of liability
- Liability concerns
- Allocation of long-term, unknown environmental risks
- Role of insurance
- Role of state and federal governments
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- What steps have federal and state governments taken so far to regulate CCS—and what is on the horizon?
- What role is CCS expected to play in GHG trading credits and offsets?
- Who is liable for CCS—the generator of carbon dioxide, the property owner, or the investor?
- What are the key long term liabilities facing CCS participants—and what should be done upfront?
David M. Flannery
His practice is focused upon the representation of companies and trade organizations in a variety of matters including... | Read More
His practice is focused upon the representation of companies and trade organizations in a variety of matters including energy and environmental regulatory issues, facility siting, and the litigation of environmental enforcement and environmental tort cases at both the state and federal level.Close
Hogan & Hartson
His practice focuses on air quality; hazardous waste and water quality, with particular emphasis on successfully... | Read More
His practice focuses on air quality; hazardous waste and water quality, with particular emphasis on successfully resolving citizen and Environmental Protection Agency enforcement actions; siting new energy sources; innovative solutions to cutting edge issues like regional haze and climate change; and helping resolve complicated regulatory and legislative matters.Close