Canadian Sales Tax on U.S. Sellers: GST/HST and PST Rules, Nexus Equivalent, Exceptions, Cash Flow Improvement (Refund) Opportunities and Planning Considerations
Note: CLE credit is not offered on this program
A live 110-minute CPE webinar with interactive Q&A
This webinar will provide tax professionals and advisers with guidance on the challenges of Canadian sales tax as applied to U.S.-based sellers. The panel will discuss Canada's Goods & Services Tax/Harmonized Sales Tax (GST/HST), Quebec Sales Tax (QST) and provincial sales tax (PST), applicable rules, registration requirements for non-residents, small supplier exception, common errors (including refundable overpaid taxes that can help improve cash flow) and other critical items for U.S.-based sellers.
- Canada vs. U.S. tax system
- GST/HST, QST and PST overview
- Carrying on business requirements
- Common errors/audit issues and opportunities for U.S.-based sellers
- Compliance challenges and best practices/tips and tricks for U.S.-based businesses
The panel will discuss these and other key issues:
- How does Canada's tax system differ from the United States' system?
- What are the GST/HST, QST and PST taxes? How are they applied to sales by U.S.-based companies?
- What are the nexus standard equivalents (referred to as “carrying on business in Canada”) for non-residents of Canada?
- What are the Canadian sales tax registration requirements?
- What exceptions or exemptions are available?
- What are the most common errors that trip up non-residents that are selling into Canada that can trigger audits and examinations by the tax authorities?
- How should you setup your general ledger to account for the taxes and what compliance challenges do many non-residents encounter?
Brian Morcombe, CPA, CMA
Partner, Indirect Tax
Mr. Morcombe has more than 20 years’ experience providing GST/HST, QST and PST solutions to non-resident and... | Read More
Mr. Morcombe has more than 20 years’ experience providing GST/HST, QST and PST solutions to non-resident and resident manufacturers, distributors, charities, financial institutions, municipalities, universities/colleges, schools and hospitals to name a few. He also works with clients on resolving WSIB/WCB and EHT issues.Close
Anthony Nagorski, J.D.
State & Local Tax Senior Manager
Mr. Nagorski has nearly 10 years of sales and use tax experience within State and Local Tax, covering all industries... | Read More
Mr. Nagorski has nearly 10 years of sales and use tax experience within State and Local Tax, covering all industries and States. He primarily advises clients on sales and use tax planning, controversy, compliance, and process matters.Close
Buy Live Webinar
Early Discount (through 10/16/20)
CPE credit processing is available for an additional fee of $39. CPE processing must be ordered prior to the event.
See NASBA details.
Live Webinar & CPE Processing
Buy Live Webinar & Recording
Includes special savings of $200 (through 10/16/20)
Live Webinar & Download
Live Webinar & DVD
$294 + $24.45 S&H