Buy-Sell Agreements for Partnerships and Closely Held Companies
Crafting Agreements for Transfer of Ownership
Recording of a 90-minute CLE/CPE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will address critical aspects of buy-sell agreements, including key provisions, funding mechanisms, and an overview of income and estate tax considerations.
- Drafting Buy-Sell Provisions
- Structuring the buy-out: cross-purchase v. entity purchase
- Essential terms
- Funding Mechanisms
- Insurance products
- Other mechanisms — cash flow, asset sales, loans, sinking funds, reserves, installment payments
- Tax Ramifications
- Redemptions v. cross-purchase
- Payments to retiring members
- Allocation of profit and loss
- Estate planning considerations
- Consequences of funding with insurance
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- What are the key provisions an effective buy/sell agreement must contain?
- What are the various funding mechanisms for buy/sell agreements?
- What are the tax implications counsel must understand to structure and fund the buy/sell agreement?
Bruce D. Steiner
Kleinberg Kaplan Wolff & Cohen
Mr. Steiner has over 35 years of experience in the areas of taxation, estate planning, business succession planning and... | Read More
Mr. Steiner has over 35 years of experience in the areas of taxation, estate planning, business succession planning and estate and trust administration. He is a frequent lecturer at continuing education programs for bar associations, CPAs and other professionals. He also writes for, and has been quoted in numerous publications on trust, estate, probate, and tax matters. Mr. Steiner was named a New York Super Lawyer in 2010 through 2016. He is admitted to the New York, New Jersey and Florida bars.Close
Michael D. Cross
Briskin Cross & Sanford
His practice focuses on business law, including general corporate transactions, mergers & acquisitions, partnership... | Read More
His practice focuses on business law, including general corporate transactions, mergers & acquisitions, partnership & LLC law; non-profit organizations, including formation of and application for tax-exempt status for charitable organizations, private foundations, trade associations; employment law, including executive employment agreements, sales, distributor, independent contractor agreements.Close