Business Personal Property Audits: Preparation Strategies for Taxpayers
Planning for and Responding to Disputes Over Documentation, Values and Assessments, Penalties and More
Recording of a 110-minute CPE webinar with Q&A
This teleconference will prepare tax managers to plan strategies for managing a business personal property audit, whether conducted by a state agency or a contingent-fee firm.
- States moving more aggressively with personal property audits
- Factors behind why more companies are being audited
- Examples of oft-used contingent-fee audit firms
- Special documentation issues in personal property audits
- Books and records to provide, and to try to avoid providing
- Negotiating valuations and assessments
- Rights of the auditor
- What to expect from contingent-fee firms
- Negotiating penalties and interest
- Understanding rights and appeals avenues
The panel will explore these and other important topics:
- Responding to the initial audit notice, and researching the auditor's legal powers.
- Books, records and documentation that should or shouldn't be provided.
- Approaches to negotiating valuation.
- Avoiding excess assessments and dealing with escape assessments.
Following the speaker presentations, you'll have an opportunity to get answers to your specific questions during the interactive Q&A.
Pullman & Comley
He represents business clients in equitable assessment cases and property tax appeals in regard to properties as varied... | Read More
He represents business clients in equitable assessment cases and property tax appeals in regard to properties as varied as corporate headquarters and power plants, hotels and movie theaters.Close
Laura Bellotti Cardillo
Pullman & Comley
Ms. Bellotti Cardillo has worked in the property valuations arena since 1982, and currently practices in ad... | Read More
Ms. Bellotti Cardillo has worked in the property valuations arena since 1982, and currently practices in ad valorem personal and real property tax appeals and eminent domain proceedings. She frequently represents property owners and lessees seeking equitable assessments of their property interests in municipalities.Close
Senior Manager of Property Tax
He has 12 years of experience in personal and real property tax and tangible valuation services. Before coming to Crowe... | Read More
He has 12 years of experience in personal and real property tax and tangible valuation services. Before coming to Crowe Horwath, he was the Central Region property tax consulting/compliance leader at another accounting firm.Close