Business Interruption Insurance: Legal Strategies
Negotiating Coverage Before a Crisis Strikes and Maximizing Recovery After
Internet Failure Cripples Businesses in Asia, Middle East and Africa on Jan. 30 - Would You Be Covered?
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
- Recent litigation and contract disputes in time-element coverages
- Business interruption coverage
- Contingent business interruption coverage – property loss by key vendor/supplier
- Civil authority coverage – when the government denies access to property
- Negotiating coverage
- Understanding the connection between BI coverage and physical loss
- Provisions for coverage
- Coverage trigger enhancements
- Valuation provision
- Counseling the client – best practices for managing risk and recovery
- Policy review
- Fostering good communication between parties
- Understand risks and coverage before disaster strikes
The panel reviewed these and other key questions:
- In managing the legal and business risks associated with loss of income, what coverages are available?
- What are insurers paying with little argument, and what they are challenging or trying to exclude?
- What are the most highly disputed areas between insurers and businesses filing claims for income interruptions?
- What legal and practical issues arise in valuing claims in a crisis situation?
Barry S. Neuman
Carter Ledyard & Milburn
He focuses on commercial and environmental litigation. He represented the plaintiff in HMSHost Corporation v. Zurich... | Read More
He focuses on commercial and environmental litigation. He represented the plaintiff in HMSHost Corporation v. Zurich American Ins. Co, concerning business interruption coverage under the civil authority provision. In HMS Host, the federal court held the civil authority provisions provides coverage for business interruption losses sustained at airports around the country due to the Sept. 11 attacks.Close
Christopher S. Clemenson
His practice focuses on insurance coverage matters. He advises clients on first-party coverage issues, including claims... | Read More
His practice focuses on insurance coverage matters. He advises clients on first-party coverage issues, including claims made under commercial property policies and builder's risk policies. He also has significant experience in complex commercial litigation and construction defect litigation.Close
Anderson Kill & Olick
He concentrates on assisting clients recover business interruption insurance coverage and damages arising out of... | Read More
He concentrates on assisting clients recover business interruption insurance coverage and damages arising out of prominent catastrophes. His insurance coverage practice focuses on property insurance, commercial general liability insurance, directors' and officers' insurance, captive insurance and reinsurance issues.Close