Business Interruption Coverage: Maximizing Coverage or Limiting Liability Exposure
Resolving Disputes Over Period of Indemnity, Contingent Business Interruption, Civil Authority Coverage, and Physical Loss or Damage
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE course will provide insurance counsel with a review of key issues and disputes that arise in determining the scope of coverage for business interruption, contingent business interruption and civil authority. The panel will also discuss the interplay between business interruption coverage and physical loss.
- Business interruption coverage – period of restoration
- Period of restoration—when it begins, ends, actual v. theoretical time
- Building, ordinance or law
- Actual post-loss market conditions
- Contingent business interruption coverage
- Civil authority coverage
- Interplay between business interruption coverage and physical loss
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- How will the specific policy language impact the appropriate “period of restoration” and the suitable location of the insured’s business?
- Can a generalized revenue shortfall following a catastrophic event sustain a claim for contingent business interruption or must the insured identify specific suppliers or customers whose property was damaged?
- Is coverage triggered by the mere existence of a “loss” without a finding of “damage”?
Following the speaker presentations, you'll have an opportunity to get answers to your specific questions during the interactive Q&A.
Scott G. Johnson
Robins Kaplan Miller & Ciresi
Mr. Johnson's practice focuses on providing insurance and reinsurance coverage advice and on representing... | Read More
Mr. Johnson's practice focuses on providing insurance and reinsurance coverage advice and on representing insurers in coverage and bad faith litigation. He has written many coverage opinions and has handled numerous coverage disputes under first-party and third-party insurance policies involving claims arising from fire, explosion, earthquake, equipment breakdown, flood, and other losses.Close
Nicholas M. Insua
McCarter & English
He concentrates his practice on insurance recovery litigation exclusively on behalf of policyholders. He has handled... | Read More
He concentrates his practice on insurance recovery litigation exclusively on behalf of policyholders. He has handled matters under comprehensive general liability insurance policies, umbrella liability policies, and excess liability policies; claims under first-party property insurance policies involving property damage, business interruption, extra expense, and other time-element coverages.Close
Bernard P. Bell
He concentrates his practice on obtaining insurance recoveries for corporate policyholders and individual directors and... | Read More
He concentrates his practice on obtaining insurance recoveries for corporate policyholders and individual directors and officers. His practice covers the full range of claims, from property damage and business interruption losses to claims arising from alleged directors' and officers' liabilities, and employment, environmental, ERISA fiduciary, product, professional, and toxic tort liabilities.Close