Bellwether Trials: Evolving Trends in Class Action and Complex Litigation
Strategic Use of Bellwethers by Plaintiffs and Defendants
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will examine recent trends in the use of bellwether trials and provide the plaintiff and defense counsel perspective on litigation strategies for using bellwethers.
- Overview of application of bellwether trials and trends in use
- Uses in class action litigation
- Uses in mass tort and MDL litigation
- Strategic considerations — plaintiff and defense perspectives
- Defining the common claims of all plaintiffs
- Identification of the variables that affect the claims
- Selecting the groups of bellwether plaintiffs
- When to use
- When to advocate
- Impact of results
- Due process concerns
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- Who selects the bellwether plaintiffs and what are the best ways to divide plaintiffs into representative classes?
- What factors should the parties consider when identifying the variables that affect the claims?
- How do judges use bellwether trials in putative class action cases?
John Randall Whaley
Neblett Beard & Arsenault
His practice focuses on class actions, complex litigation, consumer protection, wrongful death, and serious personal... | Read More
His practice focuses on class actions, complex litigation, consumer protection, wrongful death, and serious personal injury representing victims and consumers injured by the negligence and fraud of others. He is an experienced litigator, having tried many cases and class certification issues in both state and federal courts, as well as having argued in many appellate courts.Close
Carol R. Prygrosky
She is a litigation attorney who concentrates her practice primarily in the areas of product liability, personal... | Read More
She is a litigation attorney who concentrates her practice primarily in the areas of product liability, personal injury, environmental, and general litigation.Close
Brent R. Austin
He concentrates his practice on complex and class action litigation with an emphasis on consumer fraud and consumer... | Read More
He concentrates his practice on complex and class action litigation with an emphasis on consumer fraud and consumer protection act class actions, false marketing litigation, complex commercial litigation, civil RICO and antitrust, and product liability class actions. His practice typically involves multidistrict litigation involving industry-wide challenges to products or business practices.Close