Bank-Owned Real Estate Approaches for Lenders and Builders
Legal Considerations When Holding or Managing REO Properties
Recording of a 90-minute CLE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will provide counsel to lenders and strategic buyers with guidance impacting decisions of whether to purchase or sell real estate owned (REO) assets. The panel will examine the legal and business risks to lenders holding and operating REO properties and outline approaches to mitigate those risks.
- REO properties
- Lender options
- Hold assets
- Sell assets
- Build out unfinished projects
- Purchaser options
- Acquire bank’s debt
- Acquire REO at discounted price
- Lender options
- Common REO issues
- Valuation issues
- Financial accounting
- Financial reporting
- Regulatory considerations (appraisals, holding period)
- Legal considerations when holding and operating REOs
- Survey and title
- Land use
- Successor liability
- Construction defect liability risks for unfinished projects
- When REO is unit of larger project
- Minimizing legal and business risks of REOs
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- What are the key business and legal factors in evaluating REO assets?
- What accounting and valuation considerations are important to an REO assets strategy?
- What are the unique legal risks to lenders who hold and operate an REO asset—and how can those risks be mitigated?
Following the speaker presentations, you'll have an opportunity to get answers to your specific questions during the interactive Q&A.
Ren R. Hayhurst
He represents lenders in real estate and commercial loan documentation, real estate loan workouts and foreclosure,... | Read More
He represents lenders in real estate and commercial loan documentation, real estate loan workouts and foreclosure, receivership and loan/guaranty enforcement litigation. He is a frequent speaker on a wide variety of real estate topics.Close
La Jolla Pacific
He is a construction quality expert with more than 25 years of experience in the real estate industry. He is a former... | Read More
He is a construction quality expert with more than 25 years of experience in the real estate industry. He is a former Chair of the Quality Green Residential Energy Efficient Neighborhoods Committee of the Building Industry Association in Orange County, and volunteers in the Urban Land Institute’s Sustainability Council where he serves as a Mentor in the Protégés program.Close