Avoiding Ethical Violations in Preparing and Filing Federal Tax Returns
Meeting Standards for Conduct Under Circular 230, NATP, and AICPA
Recording of a 110-minute CPE webinar with Q&A
This teleconference will prepare accountants, advisors and preparers to navigate the ethical requirement standards when preparing and filing federal tax returns. Our panel will offer practical scenarios from their own experiences to demonstrate ethical risks, challenges and responsibilities.
Ethical standards governing preparers of federal returns
- Circular 230
- Licensing rules for attorneys, CPAs and others
- Rules of professional organizations (AICPA (including SSTS), NAEA, NATP, state societies, others)
- Federal, state and local tax law penalties
- Frequent areas of ethical concern for return preparers
- Hypothetical situations and possible solutions
The panel will drill into these and other relevant topics:
- Material terms of broadly applicable ethical standards such as AICPA SSTS No. 1, Circular 230, and NATP standards of professional conduct.
- The expanded range of tax practitioners subject to taxpayer reporting ethics under Circular 230—and how the circular covers more advice and opinions by tax professionals.
- Ethical challenges that confront CPAs and others preparing federal returns—using hypotheticals and offering practical solutions.
Following the speaker presentations, you'll have an opportunity to get answers to your specific questions during the interactive Q&A.
Tax Department Manager
Jack P. Fitter CPA
Mr. Marchbein's experience covers tax planning, research and review, as well as IRS exams and procedures. He... | Read More
Mr. Marchbein's experience covers tax planning, research and review, as well as IRS exams and procedures. He previously worked with the IRS in various managerial positions.Close
San Jose State University
She is a Professor in and Director of the university's Graduate Tax Program. She is a member of the California Bar... | Read More
She is a Professor in and Director of the university's Graduate Tax Program. She is a member of the California Bar Tax Section's Executive Committee and past Chairwoman of the AICPA Individual Taxation Technical Resource Panel.Close