Avoiding "Due on Transfer" Provisions in Land Trusts and Single-Member LLCs
A Real-World Guide to Garn-St. Germain Act Exemptions
Recording of a 90-minute CLE/CPE webinar with Q&A
This CLE/CPE webinar will provide estate planners and trust attorneys with comprehensive guidance on accomplishing transfers of encumbered real property to a revocable living trust without triggering “due on sale/due on transfer” mortgage provisions. The panel will discuss how the Garn-St. Germain Depository Act exclusions operate in the real world of trust and estate planning practice, and will offer practical tools for structuring transfers and drafting trust language to avoid acceleration clauses in mortgage notes.
- History of the due on sale clause, and of the Garn-St. Germain Depository Institutions Act
- Brief definition of “due on sale/due on transfer” provisions
- The exceptions the Garn-St. Germain Depository Act provides to the due on transfer provisions
- Drafting revocable living trust documents to hold encumbered real estate
- Structuring the transaction to avoid the acceleration provision
- Transfers into single-member LLCs
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What are the specified transfers exempt from enforcement of due on sale/acceleration clauses as they relate to estate planning?
- What are the practical requirements that a trust must have to ensure that a transfer of qualified property does not trigger an acceleration clause?
- What are the specific traps that trust counsel must avoid in structuring a trust transaction?
- Sample language for trust documents
Bronchick & Associates
Mr. Bronchick specializes in all forms of asset protection and is a nationally-known attorney, author, and speaker. He... | Read More
Mr. Bronchick specializes in all forms of asset protection and is a nationally-known attorney, author, and speaker. He has been involved in over 3,000 real estate and business transactions. He has authored several real estate and business books, his articles appear in newspapers, magazines, and journals nationwide, and he has appeared as a guest on numerous radio and television talk shows.He has also been featured in Money Magazine, USA Today, CNN Money, the Wall Street Journal Online, Investors Business Daily, New York Newsday, the Los Angeles Times and the Denver Business Journal.Close
Law Offices of Bryan Dunklin
Mr. Dunklin focuses his practice on owner financing documentation, real estate transactions, trusts, foreclosures,... | Read More
Mr. Dunklin focuses his practice on owner financing documentation, real estate transactions, trusts, foreclosures, civil litigation, formation of legal entities and bankruptcy. He previously taught real estate law and transactions for 23 years at SMU and was a general counsel for a national bank and former president and general counsel of a real estate brokerage syndication management firm. He frequently presents on real estate issues.Close