Agricultural Employment Law: Capitalizing on Industry-Specific Laws, Avoiding Penalties
Wage-Hour, Immigration, Migrant Workers, and Specific Application of General Employment Law Principles
A live 90-minute CLE webinar with interactive Q&A
This CLE webinar will equip counsel to recognize and address employment law issues affecting clients engaged in agriculture. These range from general employment statutes such as State and Federal wage and hour laws, occupational safety and health, and discrimination and harassment complaints to more industry-specific issues such as visas for nonimmigrant farm labor and protections specific to migrant and seasonal agricultural workers.
- Overview: scope of "agriculture business"
- Wage/hour issues in agriculture
- Application of general wage/hour principles
- General exceptions
- Small farm exceptions
- Impact of piece-rate pay
- Employment of minors
- Immigration/citizenship issues
- Application of general principles
- The H-2A visa program for nonimmigrant labor
- Migrant worker requirements and protections
- Protecting U.S. Workers Initiative
- Employment discrimination and harassment complaints
- Title VII
- State programs
- Allegations of favoring foreign workers
- Litigation examples
The panel will review these and other critical matters for agri-employers:
- How do employment laws apply to agriculture employers?
- How do farms differ from other employers?
- What special immigration issues and programs apply to employers of farm labor?
- What are the risks from government enforcers? From private-sector lawsuits?
- What must an employer do to identify and comply with laws and regulations applicable to agricultural workers?
Counsel/Associate Director of Regulatory Affairs
Mr. Starkman drives strategic recommendations and solutions to meet the business objectives in developing various... | Read More
Mr. Starkman drives strategic recommendations and solutions to meet the business objectives in developing various products and services. He counsels the Trusaic product teams on a range of issues including regulatory, pay equity, tax, health care and employee benefits, and compliance guidance to clients across multiple industries.Close
J. Larry Stine
Wimberly Lawson Steckel Schneider & Stine
Mr. Stine, enjoys a diverse practice in which he covers a broad range of labor and employment matters. He is the former... | Read More
Mr. Stine, enjoys a diverse practice in which he covers a broad range of labor and employment matters. He is the former Region IV Counsel for OSHA in the Office of the Solicitor for the U.S. Department of Labor. Mr. Stine is nationally known for his expertise in Occupational Safety and Health (OSHA), wage and hour laws (including FLSA, DBRA, SCA, and state laws) and the Migrant and Seasonal Agricultural Worker Protection Act (MSPA.) He is co-author of Wage and Hour Law: Compliance and Practice (West Publishing 1995 to date) and Occupational Safety and Health Law: Practice & Compliance (West Publishing 2008 to date).Close
Buy Live Webinar
Includes Early Discount Savings of $50 (through 11/22/19)
Buy Live Webinar & Recording
Includes special savings of $250 (through 11/22/19)
Live Webinar & Download
Live Webinar & DVD
$344 + $19.45 S&H