Aggregated Statutory Damages in Class Litigation: Leveraging Rule 23 and Due Process Arguments to Defeat Certification
This program has been cancelled
A live 90-minute CLE webinar with interactive Q&A
This CLE webinar will examine how courts are ruling in class actions in which plaintiffs seek aggregated statutory damages. The panel will discuss strategies for challenging class certification in these cases by raising Rule 23 and due process arguments and the effect of Spokeo on aggregated statutory damages.
- Types of class actions that typically seek statutory damages
- Latest court decisions addressing aggregated statutory damages
- Best practices for challenging certification in cases involving aggregated statutory damages
- Insurance coverage considerations
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- How are courts ruling in class litigation involving exorbitant aggregated statutory damages?
- How can class action practitioners leverage the various court opinions on aggregated statutory damages at the certification stage?
- Is insurance coverage available to corporations defending class claims seeking statutory damages?
- How does the ruling in Spokeo impact aggregated statutory damages?
Michael P. Daly
Drinker Biddle & Reath
Mr. Daly has spent nearly twenty years defending, counseling, and advocating for clients that interact with consumers.... | Read More
Mr. Daly has spent nearly twenty years defending, counseling, and advocating for clients that interact with consumers. His practice focuses on defending class actions and other complex cases, handling critical motions and appeals in adversarial and administrative matters, and maximizing the defensibility of marketing and enforceability of consumer contracts. He is a Vice-Chair of the firm's class actions practice; the senior editor of its TCPA Blog; and a leader of its TCPA, Consumer Contracts, and Retail Industry Teams.Close
Archis A. Parasharami
Mr. Parasharami is Co-Chair of Mayer Brown’s Class Action Practice and lead editor of the firm’s Class... | Read More
Mr. Parasharami is Co-Chair of Mayer Brown’s Class Action Practice and lead editor of the firm’s Class Defense Blog. He defends businesses against class action litigation in federal and state courts, with a focus on legal and strategy issues concerning whether a class can be certified.Close
Colin B. Willmott
Mr. Willmott focuses his practice on the counsel and defense of clients in matters involving primary and excess... | Read More
Mr. Willmott focuses his practice on the counsel and defense of clients in matters involving primary and excess commercial general liability, law enforcement liability, commercial property, and commercial auto policies. His practice includes preparing coverage opinions as well as litigating complex coverage matters. Mr. Willmott has successfully defended insurers in matters across the U.S. at both the trial court and appellate levels. He regularly authors articles on emerging insurance coverage issues and is a frequent contributor to the firm’s Insurance & Reinsurance Report and Data Privacy and Security blogs.Close