Advanced Patent Sect. 101 Eligibility: Latest Federal Circuit Decisions, PTAB Cases and USPTO 2019 Revised Guidelines
Recording of a 90-minute premium CLE webinar with Q&A
The CLE webinar will provide an advanced discussion of patent eligibility, focusing in great detail on the latest Federal Circuit decisions, Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) cases, and U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) guidance. The panel will offer best practices for navigating the interplay between the Federal Circuit and the USPTO and addressing patent eligibility issues.
- Recent Federal Circuit decisions
- Cleveland Clinic Foundation v. True Health Diagnostics (Fed. Cir. Apr. 1, 2019)
- Natural Alternatives Int’l v. Creative Compounds (Fed. Cir. Mar. 15, 2019)
- Endo Pharmaceuticals Inc. v. Teva Pharmaceuticals USA (Fed. Cir. Mar. 28, 2019)
- ChargePoint v. SemaConnect (Fed. Cir. Mar. 28, 2019)
- Athena Diagnostics Inc. v. Mayo Collaborative Services L.L.C. (Fed. Cir. Feb. 6, 2019)
- Other recent decisions
- Recent PTAB cases
- 2019 revised USPTO guidelines
- The interplay between the Federal Circuit and USPTO
- Practical guidance for handling both Federal Circuit decisions and USPTO guidance
The panel will review these and other priority issues:
- How do recent decisions from the Federal Circuit impact the drafting of patents?
- What is the interplay between Federal Circuit decisions and the USPTO revised guidance?
- What are best practices for patent counsel to demonstrate patent eligibility?
Michael L. Kiklis
Bass Berry & Sims
Mr. Kiklis focuses on PTAB litigation as well as district court patent litigation. He also handles Federal Circuit... | Read More
Mr. Kiklis focuses on PTAB litigation as well as district court patent litigation. He also handles Federal Circuit appeals from his cases. With an extensive background in computer science, his technological focus is on software patent matters. He frequently handles high stakes matters, having been involved in several cases in which over $1 billion was at stake.Close
Stephen G. Kunin
Maier & Maier
Mr. Kunin represents clients in post-grant patent proceedings at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. He also... | Read More
Mr. Kunin represents clients in post-grant patent proceedings at the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. He also serves as an expert witness and consultant on patent policy, practice and procedure. During his tenure at the USPTO, he served in many executive positions, including as Deputy Commissioner for Patent Examination Policy.Close