Advanced Estate Plan Challenges for Second Marriages: QTIPs, Unitrusts, Disclaimers and More
Recording of a 90-minute CLE/CPE webinar with Q&A
This CLE/CPE webinar will provide estate planning counsel with a deep and practical guide to estate planning challenges involved in second (or subsequent) marriages. The panel will offer specific guidance on structuring spousal trusts, ensuring premarital and joint property is titled to avoid probate or beneficiary challenges, and ensuring that estate planning vehicles incorporate prenuptial and postnuptial agreements.
- Estate planning challenges unique to clients in second marriages or with blended families
- Impact of prenuptial and postnuptial agreements on estate plans
- Balancing maintenance of surviving spouse with desire to pass on premarital assets to children or other beneficiaries
- Trust structuring
- Protecting against beneficiary challenges
The panel will review these and other key issues:
- What marital deduction transfers are available to provide for surviving spouses while preserving assets for children from prior marriages?
- What are the advantages and limitations of QTIP trusts?
- What mechanisms must estate planners be aware of to protect estate plans involving blended families from beneficiary challenges?
- Structuring unitrusts for clients with blended families
L. Paul Hood, Jr., JD, LL.M, CFRE, FCEP
Director of Planned Giving
The University of Toledo Foundation
Mr. Hood is a former estate planning and tax attorney in Louisiana. He frequently speaks and writes on estate planning,... | Read More
Mr. Hood is a former estate planning and tax attorney in Louisiana. He frequently speaks and writes on estate planning, planned giving and business valuation issues. He is author of the book, Buy-Sell Agreements (Self-Counsel Press 2013) and has co-authored texts on business valuation as well as estate planning for blended families. He is also co-author of an upcoming work on estate planning tools for modern families.Close
Edward P. Schlesier
Board Certified Specialist in Estate Planning, Trust and Probate Law
Blanchard Krasner & French
Mr. Schlesier has a broad legal and business background. His areas of practice include taxation, estate... | Read More
Mr. Schlesier has a broad legal and business background. His areas of practice include taxation, estate planning, corporate, and general business matters. He has extensive experience counseling clients with complex estate planning matters including revocable living trusts, irrevocable life insurance trusts, qualified personal residence trusts, charitable trusts, asset protection trusts, total return trusts, generation-skipping trusts, dynasty trusts, private foundations, and family limited partnerships.Close