3.8% Net Investment Income Tax Final IRS Regs: Maximizing Planning Opportunities
Leveraging New Rules for Regrouping, Real Estate Safe Harbor, Sale of Closely Held Business Interests and More
Recording of a 110-minute premium CLE/CPE webinar with Q&A
This CLE webinar will provide tax counsel with a road map to navigate long-awaited final regulations intended to clarify the Net Investment Income (NII) tax. The experienced panelists will discuss planning opportunities to leverage new rules for regrouping, real estate safe harbor and the new proposed regulations for the sale of closely held business interests and more.
- Overview of structure of NII tax
- Overview of changes
- Real estate safe harbor and self-rental property
- Regrouping activities
- Self-charged interest
- Net operating losses
- Net gains from the sale of property
New proposed regulations
- Sale of S corporation or partnership interests
- Capital loss carryforwards
The panel will review these and other key questions:
- What changes did the final regulations make to the NII tax?
- How will the new safe harbor benefit real estate professionals through the definition of “trade or business”?
- What new opportunities are there now to engage in regrouping activities?
- What planning opportunities are now available given the changes made by the final regulations and new proposed regulations?
Following the speaker presentations, you'll have an opportunity to get answers to your specific questions during the interactive Q&A.
Amy L. Barnes
Reinhart Boerner Van Deuren
Ms. Barnes advises on tax planning matters and negotiates with taxing authorities to resolve controversies. She... | Read More
Ms. Barnes advises on tax planning matters and negotiates with taxing authorities to resolve controversies. She routinely addresses a variety a tax issues involving corporations and individuals including transferee liability, passive activity loss, bad debt reductions, debt versus equity and reasonable compensation. Her experience also includes addressing shareholder issues, including amending operating agreements, among other matters.Close
Lucien A. Beaudry
Reinhart Boerner Van Deuren
Mr. Beaudry chairs the firm’s Executive Compensation and Federal Tax Planning teams and is the lead tax member of... | Read More
Mr. Beaudry chairs the firm’s Executive Compensation and Federal Tax Planning teams and is the lead tax member of the Tax-Exempt Organizations and Hospice teams. He is a frequent speaker on a variety of tax and business law topics, and a guest lecturer in the Master of Taxation Program at the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. As a licensed CPA, he brings unique financial understanding when advising clients on tax and business law issues.Close